Cleaning up the fishing clutter, aka keeping my wife happy.

Started by cwillis85, June 10, 2015, 07:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwillis85

Had all my rods leaning on the wall in my den, looked cluttered and every now and then the cat would rub himself against one and knock it over. Was going to do a simple pvc rod holder but I was surprised but the cost and decided to do something a little nicer. Made out of cheap particle board but that keep total cost under $50 on this one. Last steps is paint some details on the fins and come up with a way to secure the rods to the stand, any ideas on that would be appreciated.
Chris

fIsHsTiiCkS

Great workk!! For securing I would just nail in a soft rubber or plastic tan right on the outside of the Grove for rod.

Now I feel bad that I just bought one for more money and yours is why nice :/

foakes

Nice job, Willis --

You have gone pretty far on this already -- but if you could adjust the bottom support boards at an angle -- with another horizontal board a few inches higher -- the rods would stay in place naturally and simply against the upper rest...with no hardware, additional boards or fastener devices needed...

Otherwise, there are many ways to secure the upper rail -- some better, some more involved.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

reelrepair123

small little bungy cords on hooks, walmart had a jar of them approx 6in. long.   a flat piece of wood that would hinge on one end, secured with  a small screw or brad ( pre drill a hole so it doesn't split )  and have the other end rest on another brad, with  a small notch that could could rest on the brad. harryk

Bill B

Willis...that's really cool....maybe some type of bungee cord for each individual rod....?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Steve-O

The rod stand is looking good! I agree with the bungee across the front.  Another idea on the Mahi end boards.....keep going with it. Get a black and a blue Sharpie® marker and add details something like this. I did a search for Mahi Mahi paintings and picked one to show outlined details and did a super quickie 5 minute Photoshop job on yours. Take a bit more time than that and use bold smooth strokes ...maybe even light pencil lines before hand. Then have at it. Add the blue spots randomly and Voila! you're an artist!

Or...just leave it and put the rod retainer across the rods and call it good. ;D

cwillis85

The bungee sounds like the simplest way. I like the look of the extra detail, i was planning to do the fins but the extras look good, the eye and fin were cut on my wifes vinyl cutting machine so I can add and remove as I want, wish the spots came across in the photos, it does look better in person but definitely will be adding some more details, thanks for the input guys.
Chris