Few Hungry Mangos

Started by Newell Nut, June 10, 2015, 12:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I found a few hungry mangos today on the Pastime Princess in New Smyrna Beach. Two feet and light wind today and with a small crowd of 57 trying to load the fish box. There was a fair catch of mangos today as well as vermilions  and a couple sheepshead. I have to mention that about 30 red snappers were caught and released as well.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Man, thats a nice one.  Let the season of the Mangos begin..
eh..."Mango Man"?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ACDIII

Dwight, what is your leader/hook/weight setup for vermillion and mangos?
Thanks
Andy

Mac53

Dwight,

You ARE the original "Mango Man"!  Your consistency is not related to random luck.  Got some technique tips?

Mac

Newell Nut

Quote from: ACDIII on June 14, 2015, 07:23:50 PM
Dwight, what is your leader/hook/weight setup for vermillion and mangos?
Thanks
Andy

Vermilion in this area are usually suspended so we use a bank sinker about 15 feet below the hooks. We use Ande Pink 40 lb for the main line and the two branch lines are about 7 inches after tying and they are Yo Zuri pink 40 lb fluorocarbon. The knot is tied in a manner that the line comes out of the top of the knot and sticks out from the branch rather than hanging down against the branch. We tie these rigs about 4 feet and keep them in bags. When needed we add the additional line for the low sinker.
The hooks are Eagle Claw 089 1/0 gold hooks and they are very strong.

This rig catches more vermilion than any other . Capt Al and my wife can catch as much as 30 tourist.

Mangos are tricky and the toughest fish here to catch. Takes a lot of training to master that fish. I have been training two guys for a year now and they are coming around and catching a few. Had I guy next to me Saturday with the same rig as me and he never caught a fish and he watched me catch 5 and Elli caught 1 so I gave him some meat to take home for dinner since he was a nice guy but bummed that he had no mojo.

There are different styles. My primary style on the bottom is a 6 oz egg above my swivel and an 8 foot 40 lb fluorocarbon leader and 6/0 Eagle Claw Alaskan. (no longer made but wonderful tensile strength). Mangos like to play with the bait and most people can't be patient enough with them and try to set the hook prematurely. They can pop your rod tip up to 3 minutes before taking the bait down to the hook.
Sometimes when the bite is slow I use the Florida knocker rig but with a bass fishermans bullet weight on top of the hook and upside down. Hook goes in the mouth of the sardine, out the gill and in the body. weight goes into sardines mouth. The amount of weight varies with the tide strength and then just let it drift down slowly.

When feeding near the top I use my Captain America Rod and a 30 lb fluorocarbon leader. The color scheme that I used on this old rebuild of a very old parabolic Lamiglas reminded me of the Captain America shield so it is named such. It has a spinner on it.

Until you get a lot of trips under your belt the above information will not catch you a fish. I watch people on every trip get puzzled watching me drag them in and the get nothing. We have a few guys on the boat that are regulars that have paid there dues and they can catch them but not with my consistency. Been at it off and on for 30 years. I Love mango fishing.

Tightlines667

As with most fishing, there are usually a few subtle differences in presentation and technique that can make the difderence.  What is they say..1% of the fishermen catch 99% of the fish?  Although this is not really the case with most fisheries, there are those that consistently catch more.  To be one of the 'chosen' you must spend alot of time on the water, and learn.  Although, y9u csn learn alot from a veteran, somethings must be self taught.  It all depends on the fishery of course.  To me that is one of the most rewarding things about fishing is learnimg to master the game, and reaping the rewards.  Also, teaching and passing knowledge can be very rewarding. 

You did forget to mention you get the best spot on deck ;)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

John

The way the currents and wind go here Capt Al's corner is better for me so I have the second best spot. ;D

Reel 224

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 15, 2015, 02:07:08 PM
John

The way the currents and wind go here Capt Al's corner is better for me so I have the second best spot. ;D

I'm not familiar with the fish you are catching since I have never fished Florida, only here in NJ. But the way that you are describing the bit for catching Mangos,it is almost exactly like fishing for Black Fish (Toe Tog) here. They like to peck as I call it at the bait. You have to be patient and let them play before you set the hook, otherwise it's a swing and a miss.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

broschro

the fact that we are not getting a ARS season this year is frustrating to say the lest. went out Friday with the boys 1st drop snapper we got 5 big ones before i was mad and moved.its insane when they say they are over-fished and that's all we catch some days. we are doing a nite trip on the 3rd of july with the gopro on board i promise to post some pics and videos. nice mango's as always Dwight

Dominick

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 15, 2015, 02:07:08 PM
Dwight, let's analyze that statement.  If everything is right for you then you have the best spot on the boat.  How can it be the second best spot if you out fish the rest of the peeps on the boat?  Just keep doing what you are doing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.