Calling All Experts Regarding Screw Thread and Size -- Thanks!

Started by foakes, June 10, 2015, 09:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Calling all experts--

What is the best type of gauge to get to determine screw size and thread pitch?

For our use on fishing reels.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Islandgypsy

These have always worked well in the past. Measures down to 44 threads per inch. Available at most Ace Hardware stores. Metric version also.

Tiddlerbasher

Fred - not wishing to state the obvious buuut - a gauge measuring Imperial and Metric would seem to fit the bill - mine came with a thread cutting kit (some years ago ???) I also use known threads from from screws etc that I posess - mainly metric. I just lay one screw against the other and hold up to a light, if the threads 'interlock' they are the same. Metric is easy - calipers to measure diameterc(3,4,5mm etc.), thread gauge for pitch (.5, .7, 1mm etc). Imperial has a few more complications BSf, UNF, UNC, Whitworth etc. Metric is so much simpler - even though I was born into an Imperial world ::)

Reel 224

Ive always used a screw checker from Brownells, but it doesn't have metric on it. The thread gauge above is very good also.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

foakes

Thank You, Gentlemen --

I will check those out.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

LTM

Im not an expert Fred. However I did speak with Lee about this a couple of years ago and he referred me here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-gauges/=xl0vl8

Hope this helps,

Leo

Reel 224

Quote from: LTM on June 12, 2015, 12:43:23 AM
Im not an expert Fred. However I did speak with Lee about this a couple of years ago and he referred me here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#thread-gauges/=xl0vl8

Hope this helps,

Leo

Fourth row down, third from the left it the one that I have used for many years. Depends on personal preference between that and the other gauge that was posted above both are great tools....really they are not that expensive so you could buy both.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."