Rethinking the penn gear sleeve

Started by Tom McKinney, June 11, 2015, 12:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

In my understanding, I might be wrong, the weakness in a penn gear sleeve such as that used by the senator or the Jigmaster, etc is that under heavy drag, the handle area will round off when he sleeve is brass but no so when the sleeve is stainless.  But stainless is more difficult to machine and so the cost to make them is higher.  Why not then alter the shape of the end of the sleeve rather than changing materials?  Eliminate the open end of the gear sleeve, and shape it like that found on the penn GS series so it can take a penn or even Daiwa handle and be topped with a brass nut.  If one is already going that direction, of adding a power handle, the cost of doing so is "included."  It would make it more difficult to oil the shaft and sleeve so maybe a small hole cn be drilled in the side to allow lubrication to be added.

Just trying to think outside the box

Three se7ens

That's what Penn has done on the newer reels, including the Baja special and the new US senators. The handle area is now square, and solid, with threads above the handle that accept a nut. But they made it smaller, so it's still a weak point.

foakes

When the handle nut is really tightened down hard, and the lock screw is used -- this problem is eliminated probably 95% of the time.

When there is the slightest bit of looseness -- that is when I see problems in the form of rounded sleeves.

Best,

Fred

The one obvious thing I forgot to mention--

As we increase drag stack numbers, in some cases higher than our Penn drive trains, frames, stands, posts, and handle cranks can keep up with -- at that point, many times a brass sleeve end becomes a weak link -- and will round out.

That is why many upgraders on here advocate a SS sleeve, dogs, gears, yoke, Jack, etc., etc...

There is no end to what we can spend on these reels -- but if the drag numbers are not doubled -- the brass sleeve should handle things OK, if the nut and keeper screw are cinched down as tight as possible.
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

It seems to me that with a square sleeve, the rotational forces exerted by the handle are even on all sides of the sleeve.
With a sleeve that only has two flat sides, as on the 113h for example, the rotational forces are concentrated on two diagonal corners of that sleeve.
That is what seems to be evident on the rounded sleeves I have seen.

Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

alantani

just wanted to keep things as familiar as possible.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

The ss sleeve is the best way to go in my opinion. No need for a new handle. Just a sturdier base. I usually replace all the handles with stainless as well. Its just a stainless thing. ;D
Stainless Sleeve, Handle, posts, dogs, bolts, gears. You can never have enough. ;)

Life is Good!

day0ne

That is what Accurate did on the BX series of reels. They went from a Penn style (Jigmaster size) to a square handle hole.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bryan Young

Alan and I talked about it years ago and it was something I suggested.  Alan once told me that he didn't want the added expense of upgrading everything at once.  This way, they could upgrade the gear sleeve and still use the same handle and arm.  If we were to change that the cost for an upgrade will go up drastically.  After thought, I would agree...upgrade for the masses and will work for 90% of the usage of the reels.  The other 10% is some of you that spare no expense in upgrading your reels all at once.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Exactly Brian. Buying just the sleeve and keeping everything else is more economical.
I am in the 10%. I can't help it.
Life is Good!

basto

The strongest sleeve I have seen on a star drag reel is on the first gen PENN Torque. It is stainless and is a square topped sleeve.

Cortez_Conversions

Remember when Penn reels were cheap and easy to work on and fish with? I'm not complaining mind you, but a simple change in material solves the problem for 80% of the issues.... Just my .02 cents!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

fIsHsTiiCkS

I'm with Fred on his assessment. I have rounded SS sleeves due to not having the screw ad tight as it could be :/

alantani

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 11, 2015, 04:09:47 PM
I'm with Fred on his assessment. I have rounded SS sleeves due to not having the screw ad tight as it could be :/

oh, yeah, you can definitely do that!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on June 11, 2015, 03:28:32 PM
Remember when Penn reels were cheap and easy to work on and fish with? I'm not complaining mind you, but a simple change in material solves the problem for 80% of the issues.... Just my .02 cents!

Methinks Tom, Alan, and Carl -- all went to the same school!

Great minds think alike.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

One day, someone will design a square topped sleeve for the 4/0, 500, etc and everyone will want one. Don`t be afraid of change.
Look at how many people have or want gear inserts, custom gears, delrin washers, double dog bridges, etc, etc.

Basto