...I've been busy.

Started by Prof. Salt, June 11, 2015, 10:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

June 2nd we got into some fantastic fish, and the sharks were around stealing our fish and lures. Here are two of the gray suits who didn't get away so easy. Now I need a few days to heal the bruises - those rod butts can dig in and hurt ya!

Steve-O

Bruises?....two items come to mind.

One- a fairly new product on the market called a Cushit.

http://lunaseasports.com

....and B) a rod huki....you can buy the spendy aluminum job or do like I did and build it with two short pieces of PVC pipe and a Tee fitting in the middle. Rod butt goes into the tee and it sits on your lap.

http://rodhukidirect.com/cart/

Now to go watch some sharkies... ;D

Prof. Salt

Steve-O, I'm going find some PVC pieces, there should be some in the garage. Thanks for that idea. I'm gonna use it!

newport

Great, I can't wait for sharks to start coming inshore this summer. I did catch two big stingrays today, so they should be coming pretty soon (my arms are still sore). Eeryone around me were telling me to just break it off and stop wasting your time. I'm like, "nope, I don't care, I didn't catch anything all day."

Steve-O

Quote from: Prof. Salt on June 11, 2015, 11:44:07 PM
Steve-O, I'm going find some PVC pieces, there should be some in the garage. Thanks for that idea. I'm gonna use it!

You're welcome. I have left a few in Alaska lodges where I've fished. Dredging halibut from 300' is bruising work, too. They look at, then try it, then all smiles. So I leave it with the lodge to reproduce. A lanyard is handy, too . Sometimes I cliip it to my belt loop and dangle it or stuff it into a pocket. Hook up, and lift the lanyard to the end.

1.25" PVC does it. Here's mine. Items for scale. Tees can be as short as 4" up to 6-7" . Fits on either leg or across the lap.

Shark Hunter

That is a good idea Steve O. The professor was doing a lot of grunting. I catch my grey suits from the beach. No bruises. Just cranking them in with a reel that is older than me. ;)

I wish I could have got a better shot of his eyes. Those Hammers got some crazy eyeballs. Once you grab them by the hammer, they chill right out.

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Cool video professor.  I'm not too solid on my GOM shark ID, but I might venture an educated guess that the first one is a Spinner, and the second either a Spinner, Bignose (not likely), or Black-tip.  I attached a few different GOM shark ID guides, in case anyone is interested.

Also, have you considered adding collapsable outriggers to your yak?  I know Hobbie makes a nice set, and tgey greatly improve stability, kinda useful when you get a big animal broadside to you on a short leash.  I suppose backing the drag off during the last few feet is another safety-oriented option.  Check out the Aquahunters forum, if you aren't already a member.

http://forum.aquahunters.com/

Thanks for sharing the video. 

Keep 'em coming!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Prof. Salt

Tight lines, a lot of my comments on the video were jabs at my buddy that was hanging around with me. One shark was a blacktip and one was a spinner, but we also catch tigers, Bulls, hammers and fine tooth sharks. Last summer I even lost a little mako that was doing a great airshow...

As far as stability, I don't have any worries. I nearly built a set of outriggers for a previous yak, but this one feels almost like sitting on a powerboat. The noise I made when the shark bolted from beside the yak was in response to a hard tail slap that smacked the $400 paddle. I got him too close too early and he touched the side of the kayak before he was worn down. I knew what would happen. Didn't want my new paddle to take such a hit, and for better video I edited the loud impact out. It was an impressive sound in person but the video made for unpleasant listening. Thanks for sharing the guides, those are cool.