baitcaster issue

Started by wva custom rods, June 11, 2015, 09:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wva custom rods

Hope someone may be able to shed some light on this:

I replaced all bearings in a Shimano Chronarch ci4+ 151hg, except the main gear drive bearing.
Whilst in there i uprated the (2) stock drag washers with carbontex versions.

I now have a reel that is smooth as silk, and whisper quiet.... until i crank up the drag! The higher the drag is set, the noisier the reel.

If i take the spool out then the reel is whisper quiet regardless of drag setting.

Any idea's on what could be causing this would be appreciated.

thanks,
Marty

johndtuttle

Quote from: wva custom rods on June 11, 2015, 09:19:13 PM
Hope someone may be able to shed some light on this:

I replaced all bearings in a Shimano Chronarch ci4+ 151hg, except the main gear drive bearing.
Whilst in there i uprated the (2) stock drag washers with carbontex versions.

I now have a reel that is smooth as silk, and whisper quiet.... until i crank up the drag! The higher the drag is set, the noisier the reel.

If i take the spool out then the reel is whisper quiet regardless of drag setting.

Any idea's on what could be causing this would be appreciated.

thanks,
Marty

So, when the reel is fully assembled and the drag is cranked up it makes noise....Is this when the handles is simply cranked or when pulling drag?

Is the drag performance normal? Is the ARB slipping?

Hang in there usually we can sort these out in time :).

wva custom rods

When the drag is slackened off completely the reel is whisper quiet on winding, as the star drag is tightened the reel becomes noisier. (upon winding)

Its not a drag washer noise, more like a metallic knocking.

If i take the spool out then the issue disappears, the reel is whisper quiet regardless of drag setting.

ive stripped the bloody thing 3 times now and i am absolutely convinced nothing is missing or in the wrong place.

The only things that i can see that might give a clue is i had a bit of trouble locating the shaft (that the arb bearing sits on) into the metal drag plate when putting the side plate back on - it kept jumping out until i got some pressure on it.
The reel handle looks slightly off-axis (could be the placebo effect though!), and the collar part of the star drag does wander a touch left and right when winding, but my other shimano baitcasters do this without any noise issue.

johndtuttle

Quote from: wva custom rods on June 13, 2015, 08:27:33 PM
When the drag is slackened off completely the reel is whisper quiet on winding, as the star drag is tightened the reel becomes noisier. (upon winding)

Its not a drag washer noise, more like a metallic knocking.

If i take the spool out then the issue disappears, the reel is whisper quiet regardless of drag setting.

ive stripped the bloody thing 3 times now and i am absolutely convinced nothing is missing or in the wrong place.

The only things that i can see that might give a clue is i had a bit of trouble locating the shaft (that the arb bearing sits on) into the metal drag plate when putting the side plate back on - it kept jumping out until i got some pressure on it.
The reel handle looks slightly off-axis (could be the placebo effect though!), and the collar part of the star drag does wander a touch left and right when winding, but my other shimano baitcasters do this without any noise issue.

One idea:

When the spool is removed the pinion gear "floats" and probably tolerates mis-alignment. My sense would be to check the drag stack and make sure it is seating properly. Eared washers can be out of place etc and have a "canted" tip on the surface of the stack. Consequently, when the drag is tightened down you start getting more pressure on one side as compared to the other and "tipping" the main gear. This then causes the main and pinion to not mesh quietly.

When generously lubing the stack with Drag Grease it can lead to it not fitting easily. Try wiping the washers down to remove any excess grease then see if they seat nicely. Don't put the ARB sleeve on till last after you close the reel. This way, the washers don't get disturbed fiddling with trying to get the main shaft into the sleeve. After you close the reel you should be able to just drop the sleeve in with no trouble and minimal disruption of the seating of the stack.

wva custom rods

john that makes complete sense, and would account for the issue disappearing when spool removed.

i will strip and rebuild again taking into account your suggestions.

will report back soon!

thanks again  :)