Penn 7500ss Handle Question

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, June 13, 2015, 05:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Hey, I just picked up a 7500ss and I have been looking at handle options. Here is what I have narrowed down to, I was wondering if any of the experts out there could lend me a hand in deciding.

First is this handle off of a 750ssm and is a direct fit but more pricy, I'm wondering if it is a better handle as it is for the newer model.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/171791556490?nav=SEARCH

Or this after market handle ebay, I think Darin has used this one before.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/310840331742?nav=SEARCH

Thanks for your input guys!

Shark Hunter

I have that second one Jason with a different handle, but haven't tried it out.
I fished with my 9500 on my last trip, but I used the hot rod handle and didn't catch any fish on it. John's 12/0 got the work out.

This was the Hot Rod.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Beautiful lookin handle! It comes with an after market pivot? Now the unobtainiam handle is very sweet! Let me know when you land a bad boy on that thing!

Alto Mare

Take the cover off and see what gears you have in there, the last run of 7500's were cast aluminum.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2015, 12:18:14 PM
Take the cover off and see what gears you have in there, the last run of 7500's were cast aluminum.

It's the brass gears! I lucked out on that! You can tell it's done some battle as well, looking to get it all setup and ready for July!

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 13, 2015, 02:29:22 PM

It's the brass gears! I lucked out on that! You can tell it's done some battle as well, looking to get it all setup and ready for July!
You would have had it either way, that's why I asked ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

You have to use the original pivot on the Hot rod.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yup! and they could go on the left side or the right side with no changes:

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 13, 2015, 04:39:25 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 13, 2015, 02:29:22 PM

You would have had it either way, that's why I asked ;)

You're all to kind Sal! I appreciate you looking out!

Man guys that handle is nice! I would almost be to scared to fish it! It seems like a strong build but the knob still is to hard for me to fish with my bigger hands  :-\

Alto Mare

You're right, i'm not crazy about the knob as well and my hands are probably bigger ;D.
I had some ideas on some projects for this reel with Alan C. This started 3-4 years ago, but you guys kept pressing for gears, so my project got pushed out of the way ;D.
Whenever he gets back on it...if he ever does, I will send him that handle and see if he could make it for us out of aluminum or stainless steel.
I would want it drilled so we could install our knob of choice.
those handles are not easy to get and to me are the best design out there, except for the knob.

Shark Hunter

I think that handle is the best option for the bigger ss spinners. I have big hands too. I fished it and I love it!
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 14, 2015, 04:09:20 AM
I think that handle is the best option for the bigger ss spinners. I have big hands too. I fished it and I love it!
The knob is too small.

Another good thing about that handle is that it has a different angle than stock. The handle would never hit the bail, no matter how bad you bend it.

fIsHsTiiCkS

If those handles get made I will be all over them! I see the angle of the handle, looks like a solid build, I would attempt it if the handle wasn't so unobtainable. I'm thinking a nice 3/0 sized grip would be ideal for these spinners.

Alto Mare

I agree on the grip Jason. I believe Alan could get these done and at a good cost, timing might be an issue :-\

Yogi_fish808

I really like the the 44mm ball-knob and handle i got from ebay for my 9500ss, $19.95 shipped. Does not feel too small at all (~pingpong ballsize) and has held up fine getting drenched with saltwater here in hawaii. Just make sure to grease the moving parts and use blue loctite on the threads. Any of the suggested handles will work better than your stock one, Aloha!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301064532869?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT