Urban angling ...slow during the spawn.

Started by Steve-O, June 13, 2015, 10:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

After seeing Dwight kill the mangos and Lou hauling big stripers and Glenn- Prof. Salt just ripping lips and teeth...well....catching CARP just seems a lot less. :'(

But this is the biggest game in town although there are some big cats in Utah lake and Rainbows in most reservoirs. Just not my style, I guess.

So the plans were to grab the kayak and head north before dawn....zzzzzzz.....oops....I slept in. ::)

Hit the office pond and found out pretty quick the spawn is on and the carp were interested in one thing only. Left unsaid, you can deduce it wasn't food.  Wahhh... And midday is too bright. The fish were very line shy today.

Did manage a few on my rebuilt C3 with a power handle on a self made spiral wrapped rod named Carpalicious and used one of my GLoomis salmon rods with an Okuma Trio spinner ...makes it easy to sight cast freelined bread crust .

Camera was ready, fish wasn't. Fish was ready, camera wasn't. Caught a mama about to burst. Beat yardwork....but now I got string, trimming and two bags of weed and feed to spread. Might go back later with a daughter. Yea.

Steve-O

Went back for an evening session.

First cast-FISH ON!

And so it went for 50 minutes. 

Total for the session - 2-9's, 2-10's, an 11 and a 13# ....or about 60 #'s in an hour.

Used the Okuma Citrix baitcaster and Cabela's carbon Mag Touch rod. Great combo. But the Citrix is a single drag disc reel with supposedly 11 #'s max.  More like 6-7. I would like more but my thumb on the spool works.

Alto Mare

Looking good Steve. That's a lot of action for 50 minutes, I'll say you had a good session.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Great Job Steve-O! You are the Carp Master! ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

All of that in 50 minutes, I hope I can do as well in the salt as you did.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 14, 2015, 04:55:59 AM
Great Job Steve-O! You are the Carp Master! ;)

Thanks.....I guess......around here Carp are THE most despised fish species. Folks go pitch forking them for sport...if you can call it that.

But " Carp Master"  is a title ....well it might compare to the guy who can shovel a horse stall well  as the " Manure Master".... it's all good.

I like my rod to bend and the reel to sing.....my first year in Utah, my Bro-in-law takes me up into the high lakes of the Uintah Mtns to catch Rainbows. I'm game until he explains the "bait" we are catching as "living the dream".  The 9" bows are stockers or planters put in each year after ice out. The "ponds" freeze solid and kill all the fish each winter.

blahhhhhh.... I said "Howard, these things wouldn't even fill a hot dog bun!"  big fish of the day was 12 or 13 inches.  HUGE! he says......."uhhhhhh no"....was my reply.

I'll take Carp Master any day! ;D

This ain't no stocker Rainbow!

Dominick

Steve-O better to be called the carp master than the carping master.  :D Admit it you had fun and that you were not carping about catching carp.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

carp fishing is really fun, I used to be a fresh water fisherman when living in the city, carp, sometimes big cats and few times even blue gills, from of those I prefer carp fishing.

I moved to the sea and brought my cabelas predator carp rod for surf fishing and it was a really nice rod until a sold it to a fellow that was still fishing big carps

The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on June 15, 2015, 04:18:25 PM
Steve-O better to be called the carp master than the carping master.  :D Admit it you had fun and that you were not carping about catching carp.   :D ;D Dominick

Dominick you are a walking Thesaurus and an excellent speller. ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Newell Nut

Great looking fish. When I was little my grandpa took me carp fishing a lot and those things really get big too. We lived in GA at the time. Once I got a taste of the salt water and salt air I was hooked on Florida.

Shark Hunter

They are despised here too Steve O, but they are still fun to catch!
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

They are a prised gamefish in England.  When Sir Loyd (Loyd's of London) came to visit us in MN, all he wanted to do was catch carp, and shoot shotguns.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TomT

My dad's favorite thing to do was to go fishing.  He would NEVER eat fish, so he did not care what he caught.  I remember helping him to make dough balls to catch carp.  The next day we would go fishing in the sloughs south of Fresno, Ca.  We usually would catch lots of fish that my mom had no idea how to prepare, so we would always give away our catch--We were the most popular fishermen on the slough in those days..Lot's of good memories and I learned early that the fishing we did was not always about food, but about fishing!!
TomT