early morning inshore trip

Started by Three se7ens, June 14, 2015, 03:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Went out with my dad this morning for a short inshore trip to try to put a few fish in his new boat before a family birthday party this afternoon.  The bite was pretty decent, but is was mostly tiny sharks.  We each caught a few really small sharks, but the first one I brought in was the biggest.  It wasnt big enough to keep, but it was fun on light inshore tackle.  Still have a lot of learning to do with inshore fishing here, all the prize fish like trout, reds and flounder seem to move with the tides, so you have to be in the right place at the right time to catch them.  I did get a dozen really nice mullet with a cast net, and they are going in the freezer awaiting my next offshore trip.

theswimmer

Looks like fun.
Where are you fishing?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Steve-O

Sharkies are some good eating. I am confident by summer's end you'll have it sorted.  Don't forget crabbing.  Thanks for sharing.

Shark Hunter

Good job Adam. At least you were catching something. Sharks that small are really only good for bait. I can't make myself do that. I let them go to grow bigger. There are too many other bait options.
Life is Good!

bluefish69

Adam

If you want to become a good Inshore or Offshore fishermen you have to put in the time. Take notes, GPS #, which way you drifted, Tide either in or out, wind direction. everything else that you did to catch or not. You have to do this on every trip. When your not catching anything you can check your notes for the same conditions where you caught fish. I have worked on a lot of Commercial Boats - Charter or Open Boats & they all have many books for reference.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

And at times notes don't mean a thing ;D.
You did good Adam, being out on the water with your Dad already makes a good day ;)
Did you use that little 100?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

I had many a good day fishing with my Dad but that ended in 1969. My Son has some good memories of us together. We fished 12 months a year in the Ocean or Bay. He's now 45 YO. & gave up fishing.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 14, 2015, 05:00:27 AM
And at times notes don't mean a thing ;D.
You did good Adam, being out on the water with your Dad already makes a good day ;)
Did you use that little 100?

It was nice being on the water with my dad.  I fished a lot with him when I was a kid, but he sold his boat around the time I turned 16, so its only been recently that we started fishing together again. 

I didnt use that 100 yet, I still havent put any line on it.  I know, Im slacking...