Breakfast of Champions -- June in California

Started by foakes, June 16, 2015, 07:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

We are fortunate to live in the "Breadbasket of the World" -- the San Joaquin Valley of California.

There is a little year round family fruit stand, we pass on the way home -- Takahashi's.

Peaches, Nectarines, Apricots, Tomatoes, Peppers, Grapes, Plums, Onions, and much more -- all fresh, year around -- depending what is in season.

This time of year, they have produce that comes directly from the fields daily -- here is my breakfast...

Strawberries, Blackberries, Mango, and a hard boiled egg for a little protein -- cup of coffee and bottle of water.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Here here.  We're in the midst of stone-fruit season and I love it.  I just harvested the second (likely of 3 or 4) round of plums from the backyard.  23 lbs!

I couldn't be happier or more regular. 

Dominick

Fred, that breakfast impresses me very much because the strawberries are ripe.  They sell fresh strawberries here but they have white tasteless pulp inside.  I keep telling my wife not to buy them until they bring ripe ones to the market.  If everyone did not buy the white pulpy things they will bring ripe berries to market.  What is really funny is that there is a commercial during the Giants ballgame for Wendy's that touts a salad which includes fresh strawberries and the strawberries in the commercial are the white pulpy kind.  People now think those under ripe berries are the norm.  That is the end of my rant.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

You are right, Dominick --

Big acre growers are contracted to pick the berries before the sun has had a chance to ripen them completely.

And also, some of the white guys are generally artificially ripened quickly in a hot house operation with artificial lights.

Red meat inside is vine ripened -- white means they were picked 3 weeks early -- but pumped up with fertilizers and chemicals to be large, so they sell for more money by the pound or basket.

Then they are immediately put into cold storage -- so they will survive the trip to the big city and stay in the store for awhile.

The more sun they receive -- the higher the natural sugar content.  20 to 22% is about ideal.

We just buy what is in season -- if not in season, we buy something else.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

We have grown our own produce for years and that is the vegetables that we eat. Fred pointed out the predominant problem, forced production. Tomatoes are gassed to force there ripeness in early markets or grown in acres and acres of greenhouses (hothouses). No taste or healthy value at all. Rant over.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Big Tim

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 16, 2015, 10:41:00 PM
What is this...'season'..you speak of?

This season we have here is actually seasons  ;D I know some of you nothing of this phenomenon but here in the San Joaquin Valley we actually get them...Sometimes we even get all 4  ;D But we do get the best weather, the best foods & and quite possibly the best all around fishing in the continental United States (I hear Alaska screamin')

Getting ready for the Warrior's to win it all tonight  ;D

Rancanfish

My wife and daughter are out back picking our apples that are ripe.

And yeah, what Dom said.  I tell my wife stop buying the stuff that isn't ripe. It goes rotten before it ever sweetens.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

This morning --

Mango, Mountain Blackberries, Fuji Apples, Sunflower Seeds, Almonds, Walnuts...

Water & Starbucks Coffee

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

Fred, that's something I would really enjoy, very  nice ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 17, 2015, 09:14:00 PM
Fred, that's something I would really enjoy, very  nice ;).

With, or without some drag grease? ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

There's mango's in the valley?  Can I get a graff from that Mango tree?  Do you have Lychee too?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

We get the mangos from the fruit stand.

They source them locally from somewhere -- do not know where.

We have apples up here -- but everything else we buy organically grown from Takahashi's fruit stand.

They know the local produce -- and have been doing it for decades now.

Nice family operation.

Everything in brown paper bags -- so it stays fresh and breathes without condensation.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

conchydong

Quote from: Big Tim on June 17, 2015, 12:03:16 AM
But we do get the best weather, the best foods & and quite possibly the best all around fishing in the continental United States (I hear Alaska screamin')

Umm, We have pretty good fishing in Florida. ??? Not to mention the vast array of tropical fruits that are grown here. I have Carabao (Philippine) Mangoes, Papayas, Sugar apples, Key Limes, and Kalamansi (Calomondin) in my back yard.  :) Granted, our weather can get a little muggy for many in the summer, but I look at that as a blessing or we would be over run with people if it was nice year round. ;D