12/0 problem

Started by Harry, December 26, 2010, 03:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Hi all , Great site you have Alan thanks lots .

Have an issue with my penn 12/0 and would like to hear what u think and my easiest solution  to fix the problem.

This senator is loaded with 80lb  mono which sometimes finds its way between the spool  and the sideplate which causes the spool to stop turning and severs the line baddly. It only happens at one spot on the reel  and only happens if u fuzz it (think some call it an "over run") when the reel is full of line .

Previously i solved the problem by using 100lb mono but now have 80lb line and this might be a problem.

I have swaped a spool with a friends befor but it didnt make any diffrence when i put it on , still the same problem line gets jammed between spool  and left hand sideplate. His reel was fine with my spool on it, the line never got caught up still.

What are your thoughts? any help  appreciated thanks.

alantani

hi, harry.  your detective work has helped tremendously.  so both spools have the same problem in your reel but not his, so the difference is not in the spool (that's the good news) but in the side plates (that's the bad news).  the difference in the gaps is probably due to differences in the inner rings.  if the 80# mono gets eaten on only the left side of the spool (and if you HAVE to fish with straight 80# mono) then you might consider ordering up a new inside ring for the left.  here is the schematic for your reel.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/store/images/pennparts/schematics/116l.pdf

these rings are $22-23 and MIGHT fix your problem.  your reel would be older than your friends reel, and mysticparts.com would have to have the newer rings, not the older rings, just like the ones on your friend's reel.

i also checked on the berkeley big game line.  80# mono is 35 thousanths of an inch and 100# mono is 39 thousanths of an inch   4 thousanths is not much.  a piece of paper is 3 thousanths.  switching back to 100# mono might be more expensive than buying a new ring.  plus, there is no guarantee that a new ring will work.  

lastly, you will hear people talk about building up the lip of the spool with clear nail polish, some type of acrylic product or epoxy.  i tried that once.  the results were laughable.  you may fare better.  whatever you try, can you report back and let us know how it worked?  thanks!  alan  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Another possibility is that the sideplate has swollen such that there is nothing you can do to reduce the distance between the spool and sideplate. I see that fairly frequently with 113 Senators that have been fished hard with the end bearings cranked down. As I recall, the end bearings on the 12/0 are not adjustable
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

oh, yeah, good point!  you'd probably have to go in and flat file the lip of the plastic so that a new ring would "slip fit' onto the plastic side plate. 

MysticParts

Some people have also had marginal success with heating up the rings slightly and chilling the plates, you get just a little bit of expansion on the rings and just a little bit of shrinkage on the plate for it to work.

Quote from: alantani on December 26, 2010, 05:06:38 PM
oh, yeah, good point!  you'd probably have to go in and flat file the lip of the plastic so that a new ring would "slip fit' onto the plastic side plate. 
Mystic Reel Parts LLC (Formerly PennParts.com)
945 Radio Road
LEHT (Mystic Island) NJ 08087
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637
Office# +1 (609) 296-1300
http://www.mysticparts.com

Harry

Thanks for all the repleys guys ,

Alan are the new replacment inner rings diffrent from mine?  My reel has a white handle & brass spool.

my friends had  a green handle and brass spool , i remember his  looked older... lol

I think the problem is in the inner ring , or in the bars ? 

the line seems to get eaten in the same spot , bottom left hand side .

can i swap the inner rings  left and right?   might try that first ayy?

alantani

see, that's the problem.  there is no way to know if a new set of inner rings will fix your problem until you actually buy them and make the change.  by then, you've already spend that money.  so if it's just the left side, then you could buy just a left side ring an try it.   if it doesn't work, you are stuck with a ring that you can't return.  figure you're out at least $25.  and there is no guarantee that the new ring will give you a tighter fit.  maybe the old rings are tighter and the new one's are looser.  you might be able to respool your reel with 100# mono but a 3 pound service spool costs $75. 

this is why my hair is turning gray........ :-\

Harry

Your lucky .... mine has fallen out !    ;D

think i might try placing something  like  paper , you gave my that idea under that inner metal ring befor i try swaping  the inner plates...  ill let you  know what i find.

am also thinking of using a thick tape like material , stuff i have is double sided tape and stick it around that area  to stop the line entering.

i have upgraded the drag on some 6/0s and a 9/0 with help from this site ,thanks Alan and replaced the fiber washer under the main gear with a ht 100 and BOY what a diffrence!! :)

A 12/0  would be basicaly the same procedure  just more metal  ones and ht 100s?   (stack of 7?)

also Alan  does it matter if you put  2 ht 100s  together?  it brings the stack out more ...ive done this on a 6/0 standard (black sideplate reel)  seems to work great!  Have noticed i can do it to my 9/0 stack as well and you dont seem to have so much free spin on the star once you put a couple extra ones together.

your opinion ??  is this ok?

Thanks Harry

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Harry on December 27, 2010, 10:26:41 PM
Your lucky .... mine has fallen out !    ;D
. . . .
A 12/0  would be basicaly the same procedure  just more metal  ones and ht 100s?   (stack of 7?)

also Alan  does it matter if you put  2 ht 100s  together?  it brings the stack out more ...ive done this on a 6/0 standard (black sideplate reel)  seems to work great!  Have noticed i can do it to my 9/0 stack as well and you dont seem to have so much free spin on the star once you put a couple extra ones together.

your opinion ??  is this ok?

Thanks Harry

Hi Harry -
If your hair has fallen out [like mine did long ago ;D] then you have more solar power. :D Yes I'm wearing that stocking cap in my photo for a reason!

Yeah, no problem putting two HT100s next to each other. You shouldn't lose any performance. A stack of seven is what the 12/0 schematic shows.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/116l.pdf
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

harry, you're on the right track and i'm certain you will figure out a fix.  please take pictures and post them if you can.  even posting mistakes is valuable.  you gotta believe that there are at least a dozen guys out there that are facing the exact same problem. 

alantani

yeah, only i'd worry about the rings cracking.  seen plenty of those.  so ryan, i've got a project for you.  find me the man, the actual real person, that made the penn rings, posts and reel seats.  we need to see about getting these made out of stainless steel. 

Quote from: PennParts_Ryan on December 27, 2010, 03:46:21 AM
Some people have also had marginal success with heating up the rings slightly and chilling the plates, you get just a little bit of expansion on the rings and just a little bit of shrinkage on the plate for it to work.

Harry

Hi Allen and guys ....Well i have made some progress with this issue.. in messing around with the inner ring , a quick fix that could be used  is the use of electrical tape, by placing a bit of good quality electrical tape around the area that eats the line , it only has close the gap a tiny amount and the problem can be solved.  so far it seems to have worked, but i havnt used the reel yet .

i believe as long as the tape doesnt  come unstuck it should work, if the tape DOES come unstuck it could get caught up in the teeth of the clicker at worst...at least you will know about it  maybe!

Anyway this can be used as a cheep quick fix....today im going to take that sideplate off again and see if the tape has come unstuck at all...ill take a photo and post it  if i can work out how....ahh there Additional options.... ;)

Also i did go to a parts shop and they had several 20+ inner rings... ;D  i told them my problem and bought a ring for $35 . The  store person said to bring the reel in  iff you still have problems and this shouldnt happen, and we will measure it up or give it to some bloke to check it out......Measure up??? I thought...hmmmm ..... measure up the ring u just sold me and check a few of the others and sell me the thickest one.....the guy measured up that precise area that the line seems to enter through and found that there WERE  slight differences in measurements..... he checked about 8 or 9 inner rings for me and even though  they are so minute...i think thay will make the difference!   Amazing  i thought ....  now to
put the new inner plate on and see if the line fits through THAT  gap or any other new gaps that become apparent.

cheers Harry

MysticParts

Cracking the rings is a problem if you try to heat the rings too much too fast, I have had some customers do that. Coming up with a phone number would be very hard to do, as Penn was bought by Pure Fishing, and a lot of people didn't make it through the moving process. Also, you would probably be looking at a long distance call, because I think that the replacement rings/plates are now coming from China ( if I am not mistaken ) and I can't remember from conversations with Scott if they are machine cut, or if they use a mold. If it is a mold, then that would definitely account for the variances in the thickness/diameter of the ring.

Also, if even heating up the ring and cooling the plate doesn't work, what our local repair guy does is take a knife and shave of the edges of the plate to get that extra space needed.

Alan, if you want to pursue the stainless steel idea, shoot me an email, and we can see what we can potentially work out together.

Ryan

Quote from: alantani on December 29, 2010, 05:28:17 PM
yeah, only i'd worry about the rings cracking.  seen plenty of those.  so ryan, i've got a project for you.  find me the man, the actual real person, that made the penn rings, posts and reel seats.  we need to see about getting these made out of stainless steel. 

Quote from: PennParts_Ryan on December 27, 2010, 03:46:21 AM

Mystic Reel Parts LLC (Formerly PennParts.com)
945 Radio Road
LEHT (Mystic Island) NJ 08087
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637
Office# +1 (609) 296-1300
http://www.mysticparts.com

Harry

Here are the pics i took of what i did first and seemed to close the gap enough for the line not to get inside and caught up. This seemed to work and the tape stayed in place for 3 days without use. I dont think it would have come off as it was still stuck on very nicley.You could even take a bit more care im sure and stick the tape even better so that it sticks around the higher plastic edges on the bottom of the sideplate.

Harry

The new inner ring i bought has worked wonderfully well so im not using the tape  anymore, but this still could come in handy to some people even with different sized senators. You do have to cut the tape to size and make it fit nicley.

I have checked the gap around the whole left hand sidplate and tried to force my 80lb mono inside ...but had no success at all through various stages of the spool slowly turning......so glad .  $35 bucks spent but worth it id say after all the checks of width on 8-9 inner rings. Now i can say my reel aint held together by tape!!

Thanks all  Harry