Old Reel Wrenches & Tools

Started by foakes, April 18, 2017, 10:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Like many of you, I have a lot of Penn wrenches --

However, some of the other manufacturer's wrenches are pretty useful and neat also.

Was going through some old tackle shop bins today that I have never fully investigated yet -- just been in the storage for a couple of decades.

Found a neat old tiny Shakespeare wrench -- labeled "Shakespeare" Kalamazoo, U.S.

Kind of cleaned it up a little -- and tossed it in with the other specialized wrenches, like Mitchell, Quick, Pflueger, Lew's, Shimano, Abu-Garcia, and a few others that have no labels.

I use modern tools -- but these old specialized tools are kind of neat, at least to me.

Lots of history there.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

I carry one of those Shakespeare wrenches every time I go fishing.  They rust quickly.  The screws are forever vibrating loose on old baitcasting reels and I dare not torque them down to tightly for fear of stripping or wearing them out.
-steve

thorhammer

Fred, I now remember  to ask, do you have a spare Mitchell bail roller wrench I might purchase? I have a few dozen of the larger ones.

John

foakes

Sure, John --

I have (2) of these small forked ones that fit the Mitchell 302.

If this would work -- its yours.

Just PM me your address so I don't have to search for it -- and I'll mail it out tomorrow.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Johnj67

Fred do you have any old Penn wrenches, say for the 710 or 704 z's

John

foakes

I do not know, John --

What do they look like?

Glad to help if available.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

John is probably talking about this one

Sorry John, this is the only one I have.  

Sal

click on the pick to see it facing up...
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Johnj67

Lol....Thank you Sal , I got excited for a second!!
  John

foakes

If I find one of those over the weekend, John -- I'll send it your way.

Thanks, Sal!

I generally just use my precision Metric/Standard wrench to loosen and tighten the Rotor Nut on those old Penn spinners.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Johnj67

Thanks Fred, I have been using my adjustable wrench also. It does the trick , I didn't know if the Penn wrenches were quicker or easier,  but definately very cool. I'm working on Penns and Mitchells, well mostly.
        John

thorhammer