Penn 712z Main Gear / Handle / Houseing Bushings

Started by shootandfish1, June 18, 2015, 05:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootandfish1

First, a grateful Thank You to those who take the time to post narrative and photos for those of us less learned.

Now, I've picked up a Penn 712z, my first of the 7xx'z reels. I'm late to the party, but I really like the notion of reels meant to last and easy to service.

This reel has a very, very slight, but detectable 'play' where the handle screws in the housing.  I don't think it is too much concern about at this time as the reel is otherwise very smooth and I know these reels were designed to have a certain about of 'looseness'.

For the Penn 7xx'z series in general, How much 'play' is considered excessive and new bushings are needed?

Studying schematics (in the owner's manual) shows that these bushings (Key # 2) are replaceable for the 704z, 710z, 712z, and the 714z/716z reels.  I have found these bushings for the 704z, 710z, and the 714z/716z, but not the 712z.  I think the 712z uses the 710z bushings.   

I am getting bits and pieces of info that for some housings (earlier versions?) the bushing were 'pressed-in' and for other version the bushing were permanently attached to the reel housing, thus un-serviceable (possible to drill out?). 

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Besides bail springs,  what other spare parts would one want to keep on hand?

Thanks In Advance,

Fred

handi2

Hello Fred,

Does the reel have the handle washer? It goes on the handle stud before screwing into the reel.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Fred, all of the Z series will do that and it is normal. How much play is tough to say,  the smaller reels do it less than their bigger brothers.
I would say it is about 1/16".
The ss serie doesn't have any play there, but its rotor does.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

shootandfish1

Thanks guys,

Yep, handle washer in place.

Had a set of feeler gauges handy and although not the best to measure, I gently tightened the handle with different gauges between the handle and washer until just snug and felt for 'in-out' movement.  At .018 in, I could feel some 'in-out', at .020 in, I could not feel any movement at all.  (a reverse nut would have helped).

The 'side-to-side' wiggle is much less ( 1/2 - 1/4 as much) then the 'in-out' movement.  I take that this amount of play is ok.

As I'm 'tickled-pink' to 'discover' the Penn z's and want to learn how to service and keep them running, I've ordered a main gear and bushings (I'm betting that the 710 bushings are the correct size) from that place that 'Scott shops at'.  Then, I can get an idea of the tolerances of new parts.  Separate issues with this reel is that the spool very slightly rubs at one section of the rotor, so I went ahead and ordered a new spool shaft, part 39.   And the previous owner must have gotten a little 'Ham-Handed' when lubeing the reel handle part of the housing as the little ball-bearing is smashed or stuck in the depressed position. 

I've got an very, very rough looking 712z coming.  This reel will be my 'cadaver' to learn on.  As a plus, this reel is new enough to have the latest rubber grip handle and the revised bail wire.   Hopefully, it has the Ht-100 drag stack, and assuming the expense parts (housing and rotor) are good, this reel will brought back to life. 

Thanks again,

Fred