Reel search

Started by mai tai, June 18, 2015, 01:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mai tai

Hi everyone.

Looking for a good sturdy reel for casting bait for sharks and rays on the west coast.

I have used up two sealine 50hv reels lately. I feel like the graphite frame is flexing under heavy drag and damaging the gears. One has damage to the right side plate, the other I haven't opened to see yet as I just discovered the issue.

Looking for a conventional reel.

Desired specs:
300yds 40lb line capacity
Gear ratio around 5:1
Plenty of drag
Aluminum frame.

Welcome your suggestions.
Thanks.

Keta

For just mono an Avet HX, if you use Spectra backing a JX or my favorite small Avet the MX.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jeri

Hi Mai Tai,

We surf cast here in southern Africa for sharks and rays, and have found that reels like the new Finnor Lethal - size 20 or 30 would be more than sufficient for your needs. The capacities might be a little higher than you desire, but that is not a bad thing with sharks. We tend to bottom load with 50lb braid, and then have a 'consumable' top loading of nylon to take the pressure of casting and any damage over reefs and the like.

These reels are basically an up grade on the OFC models with just better anodising and a couple of up graded bearings, the original models were seriously strong, just needed the 'tweeks' to sort out a few issues. The drags are great - woven carbon, so no need to upgrade, and have plenty of capacity.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

Jeri

LTM

Mai Tai,

Keta/Lee may have been a little over zealous in regards to his favorite reel the Avet MX, for these reels max out at using 25# mono due to their max drag limitation (unless you get the Raptor series).

Leo

Bryan Young

Personally, for your application since you are fishing with Sealine 50HVs, I would recommend ProGear 541.  It holds 400 yards of 30# test so I think it would hold close to your required 300 yards of 40# test.  The gear ratio is 4:1 and it's a full aluminum reel that uses Penn guts so parts availability is good.  The cost is relatively affordable since this reel is not very disireable as many are fishing spectra and prefer narrower reels, like ProGear's 545.

For new reels, I would recommend Penn Fathom in the 40 size.  With this reel, you have an option for single speed star drag, single speed lever drag, or 2 speed lever drag. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mai tai

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I would opt for the Fathom 40NLD in your case

LTM

Why do you over look the Daiwa Sealine 50H. Its all aluminum, holds 330yds/30#, has 4.1:1 gear ratio, braid ready, inexpensive and strong. Factory parts are very reasonable too. Its not a "fan-boy" reel but a hell of a value and extra money left over to do other things, unless you just want to spend more money.

Leo

Bryan Young

Quote from: LTM on June 18, 2015, 07:48:32 PM
Why do you over look the Daiwa Sealine 50H. Its all aluminum, holds 330yds/30#, has 4.1:1 gear ratio, braid ready, inexpensive and strong. Factory parts are very reasonable too. Its not a "fan-boy" reel but a hell of a value and extra money left over to do other things, unless you just want to spend more money.

Leo
Hi Leo,

Because it will only hold about 250 yards of 40# mono.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

LTM

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 18, 2015, 07:49:48 PM
Quote from: LTM on June 18, 2015, 07:48:32 PM

Leo
Hi Leo,

Because it will only hold about 250 yards of 40# mono.
The 50H is closer than the 400yds and with braid no problem and probably smaller and lighter.

LTM

Did a quick check and the Daiwa Sealine 400H holds 350yds/40# and should fit the bill perfectly for mono. The 50H and the money you save vs the ProGear can be applied to the braided line to give you similar capacity. Just providing you with options. For aftermarket parts the Penn internal parts which are swappable with the ProGear provides endless options (at endless prices).

fIsHsTiiCkS

Big down side of the 50h is casting and would require a drag upgrade. I am a huge fan of those old reels though!

mai tai

Actually, I have two 50h reels. Never done me wrong. They cast well enough though I haven't tried them side by side against the 50hv.

In fact, I will be using one tonight and until I make a decision on something else.

LTM

Mai Tai,

When you get a chance, can you tell me if the gears from the 50shv will fit in the 50h?

Thanx,

Leo

fIsHsTiiCkS

Well I stand corrected!! I recommend those reels to all my friends that are getting into fishing offshore. Affordable and will never let them down.