how to set the drag on a leveldrag reel?

Started by steelfish, June 18, 2015, 06:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on June 22, 2015, 06:11:27 PM
If you are not breaking of you must have the "touch".... ;D

I guess so Keta I haven't had it happen yet. Tomorrow night will be a test we are going for Stripe Bass, last week a 50lb was landed, if we get into those class fish the old reel and line will get tested.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

Have fun and I hope the fish put test your gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on June 22, 2015, 03:24:26 PM
I set a lot of reels by hand, if you have "the touch" it works. 

I mostly asked the OP question because I was taught the same way, an old local fisherman (that lives and feed his family from the fish he catch) taught me how to set the drag strike on the star reels "by feeling", and how much force apply of the setting depending the fish Im going after.
but none of those reels were on the risk to get damaged from having the drag to strong (113, 114 or newells 500 series), now many reels are more shiny, more nicer and stronger and even 2 speeds but sometimes I feel like fishing with an Iphone, you have to take more care of you fishing gear than thinking in having good time on the water.

on some of the new reels:
dont let the reel to get a bit of sand
dont drop the the reel cuz is 100% graphite and can be broken
dont set the drag too tight
dont use braid line cuz it can get stuck in the side of the spool
dont let the reel to get too much saltwater

and of course, many current reels are more hassle free than others, but most of the old school reels that are still in use as the daiwas sealine, penn senators, etc were made to make you worry about how are you going to cook your fish instead of how are you going to take care of your gear.

dont get me wrong, I really take care of my reels and rods after every trip and set the drag before getting into the water, etc, etc but some brands and models are really too much techology to care for.

The Baja Guy