how to set the drag on a leveldrag reel?

Started by steelfish, June 18, 2015, 06:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

so, guys Im more a star drag reel guy but I will be using a shimano triton 12/30 II  (TLD 20 II) for now until saving and get me a fathom 40N II

I know the most common problem on old level drag reels is the pinion bearing mostly because the use of high drag settings, so this made me wonder how to use the reel and avoid the most i can to toast another pinion bearing.

when you read on the specs the max drag is 16lb its that on strike or full?
on this reel and many others the drag curve from strike to full made a long jump, I mean from 9# strike to 15# full, so If I set the reel on 15# strike and move the lever to full on a big fish the drag will jump to 20#, would that damage the bearings? (when hipetically the max drag is 16#?)

how do you lever drag guys keep using your reels that dont have trust bearing without losing your pinion bearing after few trips?

The Baja Guy

LTM

Easy, set your max drag at full and then test at strike. Bear in mind that at your max drag at full should NOT cause binding when cranking the handle.

Leo

handi2

Set the strike to match the line you are using.

For example my 30W trolling reels with 40lb test mono are set at 13 to 14lbs at strike. 1/3 of the lines breaking strength. The 50's are set at 17 with 60lb test and we never go over the strike setting when a fish is on.

If you are just bottom fishing or jigging you still have to consider the line you are using. With those reels you probably won't go over 40lb test line.

Another way for max drag is to have the reel in freespool. Turn the pre-set dial in until you start losing freespool. When you start losing freespool stop and back it off slightly until freespool is good. Move the drag lever up carefully and slowly. If it's too hard to move normally back of the pre-set dial and try again. This way you won't ruin the pinion bearing while testing the settings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

steelfish

Quote from: handi2 on June 19, 2015, 12:35:58 AM
.......and we never go over the strike setting when a fish is on.
thats another question I have, when you really move the lever to full? maybe when the fish is taking too much line on a long run?

Quote from: handi2 on June 19, 2015, 12:35:58 AM
Another way for max drag is to have the reel in freespool. Turn the pre-set dial in until you start losing freespool. When you start losing freespool stop and back it off slightly until freespool is good. Move the drag lever up carefully and slowly. If it's too hard to move normally back of the pre-set dial and try again. This way you won't ruin the pinion bearing while testing the settings.
this is new method for me, so, if I find the sweet spot when the free spool is barely lost that means that I near from the max drag for the reel ?
or its nothing related to max drag
The Baja Guy

Keta

On my smaller reels I usually just set the drag by feel but I've done it a lot of times and have the feel for it.  When specifically targeting large fish I with lighter line I always use a drag scale.  

On my large reels I use a drag scale and do one of two things.

#1. The basic way is to use a drag scale and set the drag at 30% of the breaking strength of the line (or rod rating) with the lever at strike.  Then I check what I have at full.

#2. The "advanced" way is to pick a spot on the reel I call "pre strike", on most of my reels it's one side of the harness lugs, and set the drag at 30% there, then check strike and full.  This gives me a higher full drag setting.

As for using full, I usually have my reel set at full when the fish is close to the boat, like a tuna doing it's death spiral, or when a fish like a yellowtail heads for the rocks.  Make sure to back the drag off a bit for gaffing.  I do not like using full when there is a lot of line out, that's a sure way to break off.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

I would agree with Lee on how to set the drag on a lever reel, but might add/clarify that the drag numbers should he tested pulling line at an angle off of the rod, not directly off of the reel.  Most trollers 'in the know' mark their reel with a prestrike setting (usually less then 30% of line breaking strength) that provides the best hook set, then they have the strike setting around or slightly less then 30% of line breaking strength, and full should be around 50% or slightly less then breaking strength.

As far as how to use these settings when fighting a fish goes...

Quote from: Keta on June 19, 2015, 02:45:47 PM
As for using full, I usually have my reel set at full when the fish is close to the boat, ...Make sure to back the drag off a bit for gaffing...

I agree with Lee that you need to be aware of how much line is on the spool and as spool diameter decreases you MUST back off on the drag setting.  You can use higher settings when you have more then 2/3 -3/4 of your spool, and the fish is coming towards you.

I would caution using higher drag settings when you get the fish very close to the boat though...

This is the songle biggest mistake I see anglers making that often results in broken gear, and lost fish boatside.  You need to back way off on the drag when the fish gets within 20-50ft of the boat.  Any sudden surges or change of direction and something will break.

Lee mentions this when its time for gaffing the fish.

Quote from: Keta on June 19, 2015, 02:45:47 PM
Make sure to back the drag off a bit for gaffing.  I do not like using full when there is a lot of line out, that's a sure way to break off.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

steelfish

Thanks guys, Im really learning new tips today with your comments.
Normally I use low drag settings on surface fishing but when fishing on rocky bottoms for big bass I have to set the drag higher to turn the fish heads from their caves
As today this is easier for me with a nice star drag reel
The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 19, 2015, 08:24:04 PM
I would agree with Lee on how to set the drag on a lever reel, but might add/clarify that the drag numbers should he tested pulling line at an angle off of the rod, not directly off of the reel. 

I missed that part, thanks.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

coastal_dan

One tip for specific sittings like Lee was talking about...if you find a sweet spot use a little white out to mark it on the reel.  This comes off by scratching with your fingernail at the end of the day (if you reset it each trip), no harm done to the reel and no guessing as to if you are back at it or not.

I adjust my drag on the cheap side...fill a bucket with as much lead as I'm looking to get for drag, snap my swivel to the handle and lift with the reel mounted to a rod, adjust accordingly.  That way I get to see how the rod feels at the drag levels too...there are times the rod can take less/more than the reel and it's good getting "that feeling".

Good Luck!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Reel 224

Just my two cents, I own only one lever drag reel and have read and listened to many explanations on setting the drag ratio for that type of reel. Honestly for my type of fishing,I found it easier to adjust the strike setting by just pulling the line by hand....it has worked for me with both stiles of reels including my spinning reels as well. I'm not saying this is the correct method just that it has worked for me with any of the reels I have owned since day one. I also don't fish for 100# and up class of fish.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

I think it's more important for lighter gear, my preferred class for large yellowtail is 25#.   Set your reel by hand then check with a scale, if I didn't give the last 16# one away last week I'd give you one.  I can get 50# scales but they cost more, I also still have a pile of 8# scales I need to find homes for but I need to sell them....$8.00 pluss shipping is a good deal for these "Hecho in Estados Unidos" scales.

Mark Twain

Reel 224

I have a scale for setting drag which I have tried, but honestly it's been easier to just do it by hand, I know it's not the most accurate way or even the best but my type of fishing doesn't need to be so precise. Soon as I loose a fish Ill probably wish I had listened. :) :'(
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

I set a lot of reels by hand, if you have "the touch" it works. 

Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on June 22, 2015, 03:24:26 PM
I set a lot of reels by hand, if you have "the touch" it works. 

Touch, I don't know if I do but it was how I was taught by an old timer when I was just a sprout and it's always stuck with me. That was in the 50s, now days there are so many different stiles of reels and methods of fishing them that I just try to keep it simple. Don't want to strain this old brain ;D ::)

Keta

If you are not breaking of you must have the "touch".... ;D

Mark Twain