Main Menu

Shark

Started by Bill B, June 19, 2015, 06:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

OK....we have a few shark fishermen and women....what type of shark is worth keeping for food,   what will get you throwin in jail, and what is not worth eating?  With enough soy sauce, tapatio, and Corona most anything can be eaten
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

OldSchool

Gummy Shark is probably ranked as the premium shark to eat. Some say in the interests of conservation shark is a "say no" species. There are of course protected species and as I understand that can differ dependant on where and what country your in. In Australia not withstanding protected species you cannot kill anything over 1.5mtrs however i do hear that protection laws are being reviewed with a likely hood of being removed.

If your in Australia and walk into any fish and chip store and order "flake" you are being served shark.

coastal_dan

Short Fin Mako and Thresher are delicious with a lot of cooking possibilites.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

Salmon shark are also tasty.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

thorhammer

Mako is good but rare to catch in NC. Balcktip however, is fairly plentiful and tasty but there are limits on them. Steve-O sent me a nice shark recipe last week; maybe he'll share if he sees this.

Shark Hunter

I haven't eaten any Shark that I've caught yet. I have had Thresher steaks when I lived in San Diego from the market. They were Delicious. I think the most important thing is that you stick to a smaller one, say a blacktip that swallowed the hook, gut them right away and get them on ice.
I know any species of Hammerhead is protected and cannot be eaten.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

tru dat. Steve-O was very explicit about the bleeding, gilling and handling should you decide to harvest an apex predator as such.

RowdyW

I know any species of Hammerhead is protected and cannot be eaten.
[/quote]Except the Bonnethead, But they are only good for bait.  ;D

Tightlines667

Most of your smaller coastal 'brown shark' varieties are edible as well.  Make sure you follow existing state and federal regs.  Then make a cut on either side of the tail stock while the animal is still alive.  You can then cut into the heart chamber, and throughly bleed the animal, just before cutting it's spine to kill it.  Cool the meat down quickly, and you can soak in a bit of buttermilk, to draw out some residual urea, a soak in brine will firm the meat up.  Eat the steaks fresh, most shark does not do well after frozen.  

Mako, Thresher, and Salmon are the exception.  

Stay away from Blue Shark, or any bottom dwelling species.  You should be able to smell the meat.  If you detect any noticable trace of urea, I'd forget it as table fare.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rancanfish

When I fished for Leopard sharks in years past, we bled them out right away.  Then tie them up and throw them over the side to keep cool in the current until we headed for home.

I once had a large multi-family BBQ and told my wife I was going to serve a big dish of shark chunks.  She knew there was going to be bunches of rug rats so she made me get hot dogs and make hamburgers too.  

Short story long, I made a big tray of burgers and dogs and another of shark, coated with Italian dressing.  There wasn't a single piece of shark left.  Almost ALL eaten by 5-10 year olds.

Soak the shark chunks in milk prior, then mix up a bowl of Italian dressing and dip them.  Throw them on the barbie.  They'll flame up like crazy and cook pretty quick. Keep brushing them with the dressing while they cook.  Lots of flare ups but they don't burn somehow. Roll 'em over, get some grill marks going.  Poof!  They're gonna go.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

conchydong

Threshers, Shortfin Makos, Blacktips and believe it or not Nurse Sharks are the only ones I eat.

bluefish69

No one said Porbeagle Shark. They are good any way you can cook them.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Big Tim

Buddy of mine had some real nice Thresher Steaks and he was trimming the bottom off to make a perfect steak? I took I guess the loins and put them in an olive oil, lime, sea salt, garlic & onion powder, cayenne pepper, rosemary marinade for a couple of hours, then put them on wood skewers with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, peppers & onions...Grilled them up while dinner was cooking then drizzled the rest of the marinade on the skewers to get a smoke/flame char...Served prior to dinner..I think my appetizer was best, but I always do.  ;D Works well with Swordfish loins as well.

Big Tim

Tightlines667

Quote from: Big Tim on June 20, 2015, 01:39:58 AM
Buddy of mine had some real nice Thresher Steaks and he was trimming the bottom off to make a perfect steak? I took I guess the loins and put them in an olive oil, lime, sea salt, garlic & onion powder, cayenne pepper, rosemary marinade for a couple of hours, then put them on wood skewers with mushrooms, grape tomatoes, peppers & onions...Grilled them up while dinner was cooking then drizzled the rest of the marinade on the skewers to get a smoke/flame char...Served prior to dinner..I think my appetizer was best, but I always do.  ;D Works well with Swordfish loins as well.

Big Tim

Now you've got me salavating.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 20, 2015, 12:58:14 AM
No one said Porbeagle Shark. They are good any way you can cook them.

Mike

They are related to our salmon sharks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain