So what brand of rods do you guys use for mechanical jigging?

Started by PE Pete, June 19, 2015, 08:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PE Pete

Not sure how popular this style of fishing is for you guys but someone must be doing it.
So what's your fav rod for this application?
Pete

Jon Vadney

Quote from: Kiwi Pete on June 19, 2015, 08:04:00 AM
Not sure how popular this style of fishing is for you guys but someone must be doing it.
So what's your fav rod for this application?
Pete

It's really dependent on gram weight, conventional/spinning, targeted species, and what type of mechanical jigging techniques you plan on employing. Popular blanks are going to be: jigging world, hots, carpenter, smith, synit, black hole, OTI, among others.

conchydong

I do not do it hardcore so I just use Shimano Trevala and Quantum Boca Jig rods. Both are lower end but very serviceable rods for my purposes.

Rancanfish

I just found a Shimano Trevala that is coming home for Fathers Day.   8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

PE Pete

I should probably contribute to my own thread.
So I use almost exclusively Synit rods below my current list.
Razar Black Label spin jig PE 6-10
Mantis x35 acid wrap PE 3-5
Bay Action Slow Pitch Medium acid wrap PE 2-4
Plus a prototype acid wrap Kahuna not yet released here in NZ.This blank has an amazing ability to make a 500g jig feel like a 300g.
I have some other Synits for top water but that's another thread!
Pete

MFB

Hi Pete,

I got a Daiwa Monster Mesh (1/2 price from FCO) paired with a 8000FJ Stradic, spooled with Sufix 50lb braid. Don't do a lot of this fishing so couldn't justify another Kilwell rod.

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

PE Pete

Sweet set bet the rod was a good deal. I got some good deals on jigs when they were closing.
Where abouts are you Mark I'm near Silverdale?

MFB

The fishing capital of New Zealand Palmerston North ;D Got a Shimano nano soft plastic rod when they were closing down. I was sorry to see them go, the staff weren't experts but they were always friendly. Not like some other resellers who are arrogant, condescending and you feel like your interrupting their day by walking in there. What size jigs are you using?

Regards

Mark   
                                                   Isaac Walton

PE Pete

Haha love it good ol Palmy ah!
I use a wide range of jig sizes to suit which ever rod/reel I'm using.
I quite often start out heavy & go lighter as the day go on & as I get more buggered. BUT around the bite time I tend to go back to my heavier set cause more often than not this is when the biggest fish come on the chew.
Do you ever come up to to dauckland bro?

MFB

Not if I can help it, occasionally for work but not often. I have fished out of Gulf Harbour on my bosses boat, it was a memorable trip but not for the fishing. It all started the night before when he picked me & one of our suppliers up from the airport. We were all set for an early night as there was a bit of competition with one of his mates. So we got back to his place & lets just say his hospitality was generous to a fault & despite best intentions the early night went out the window.
4am start the next day, 40min pounding out through a short chop, carefully selected a spot that was the most exposed to the wind. Threw the pick and the burley out. In about 10min we were all several shades of green and emptying our stomach contents over the side. We caught about 3 pan sized snapper that day. Nige's mate absolutely caned us, they had a bin full. So we pounded back in for another 40min drove back to the North Shore cleaned the boat fired up the BBQ had a few more beverages. We ate like kings, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. Trip highlights for me was getting to try smoked marlin & getting to drive my bosses 69 fastback Mustang.
Next time it's my turn to take them out of Wanganui, but I'm not sure I'll be able to top that....

Regards

Mark         
                                                   Isaac Walton

thorhammer

i have three trevalas in different weights; they also double as bottom and bailing rods offshore