My first Senator 9/0

Started by Shark_On, June 19, 2015, 07:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

I'm in the middle, not gooped on but not thin either.

A pristine Penn 115 9/0 for $100...  Again...  Great pick up! 8)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Just rub it in the drag washer with your fingers. The carbon fiber will soak it up. Any excess will get pushed out, so there is really no way to do it wrong. That reel is pretty capable in stock form. I have ss sleeves when you are ready to hot rod it.
I agree with John, that is a mighty fine reel you have.
Life is Good!

Shark_On

Yeah no regrets on this reel, next up is a rod to mate up.   

Thanks for all your help, this is a great forum.

I have much to learn.
May you live long, and fish often.

Dominick

Shark_on if I were you I would keep that reel in the box in its original condition as a collectable.  Since you are new to the site (welcome) you will want to have some reels to save and some to fish.  Make this reel a shelfie and go buy another for fishing.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on June 20, 2015, 03:58:14 AM
Shark_on if I were you I would keep that reel in the box in its original condition as a collectable.  Since you are new to the site (welcome) you will want to have some reels to save and some to fish.  Make this reel a shelfie and go buy another for fishing.  Dominick

Yup.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on June 20, 2015, 03:58:14 AM

I wish I would have listened to you when I had that 1950s 14/0 I got for $40..then proceeded to upgrade the reel with >$300 in parts only to find out I could not 'fix' the 3-piece spool.  Ended up breaking even in the sale to a Minnesotan who just planned to put it on a shelf anyways...

Ah..how young and foolish I was way back then :)

You live and learn you learn I guess :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Dominick has a good point. I have had at least two dozen of these go through my hands and have never seen one as nice as the one you have. I do have some NIB reels in my safe. Some are just for display, but the majority I fish, or plan to.
I haven't been in the game as long as a lot of these guys, but they taught me all I know and I listen.
Your reel in that condition will only get more valuable.
Life is Good!

Shark_On

I wondered about shelving it, but don't know the value or rarity of what I have.  If they are commonly found un used in storage or just kept nice?

I have two boys 5 and 7, this is a reel that I can pass down.  I won't let it go to waste or get trashed.

The history and culture with fishing these reels is awesome.  I liken it to my firearms, you just cant can't enough or too many, I want them all, and multiples of a few good ones.

Shark_On

I have a brand new okuma I want to try out (dont hate me but it's the solterra 50w), so for now this one can stay in the closet, I am not in a hurry to use it. 

I think I will keep my eye out for another 9/0. 

How many can I hide in the closet before my wife finds out?

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark_On on June 20, 2015, 04:35:12 AM
I have a brand new okuma I want to try out (dont hate me but it's the solterra 50w), so for now this one can stay in the closet, I am not in a hurry to use it. 

I think I will keep my eye out for another 9/0. 

How many can I hide in the closet before my wife finds out?

I have heard that it might he best to have several different hiding spots.  Keeps the odds in your favor.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

I try not to collect reels but every now and then something "to nice to fish" falls in my hands.  What to do what to do.
If that reel had been fished and had no box, paperwork, tools, etcetera. Meaning it is just like all the other 9/0 reels floating around pawn shops second hand stores and fleabay.  It would be worth what you paid and and maybe a little more.
pristine, never been fished in as new condition basically what we would refer to as NIB old stock.  It's worth conservatively 2x maybe 3x what you gave.  others here would know far better than I, but if I were you I might consider selling or swapping that sweet sister for maybe 2-3 of the same reel in regular serviced fishing condition, there may be a few people right here interested in helping you out.  
To Some of us older guys seeing something this pristine not being preserved is kinda a shame, don't get me wrong I fish almost everything I own,  and I am not a collector but this reel you have may well be a very special reel in that you might find 1000 of those reels and not find one like this.  It's almost a sacred treasure.
Enough of my blubbering welcome to the addiction that is A.T. And Penn Reels and I hope you enjoy every thing here there is.  You won't find a more helpful group of fellow fishermen and reel heads anywhere.  

Shark_On

I appreciate all the information and advise.  I really dont know what the true value is, but I have been looking for a 9/0 for months, and never saw one this nice, so I jumped on it even though the drag was stuck.  Which turned out to be nothing.

Your right, most of the reels I have found dont even have the rod mounts, forget about the box, tools and paperwork.

I will definitely let this forum know first if I decide to sell or trade.  For now it's safe in the closet.   
I most likely will opt for a trade or sell, but need to research and think about it.

Alto Mare

Good deal on that reel, now, since you got such a good deal, go ahead and load it up with upgrades.
Screaming out that word you have on your avatar with that 9/0 is more exciting than looking at it on a shelf.
We have ways of getting over 50lbs of drag with the 9/0, but, it's not about the numbers, it's about smoothness. You will achieve smoothness by increasing drag numbers, not sure if all believe this theory, but I do.

Any questions...just ask!
Welcome aboard!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I'm with Sal, fish it! Enjoy the heck our of that reel!

Rivverrat

I decided a long time ago that I would not be a warehouse or museum for some one else after I'm gone. Ive got a few original  Smith & Wesson Triple Locks, in my opinion the best  made  revolves ever. With fit & finish not mached by any production made revolver today. 2 of these were unfired when I received them. I took second place with one of them in a LEO competition using one in a pretty  large field of competitors using mostly 1911's. Ive also taken several deer & hogs with them. My son at age 7  took his first deer with one of them

My enjoyment is derived from their wise use. When they are  handed down to my son they will each have a story & their age & unique history will only add a very distinct & unique patina to each one   .......Rather than "Ya this was another one of my dad's guns that he  kept in a vault"    :-\....Jeff