My first Senator 9/0

Started by Shark_On, June 19, 2015, 07:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Sell it to a collector and use the $ to get another reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark_On

I will definitely think about it, I enjoy the idea of all three options.
1.  Sell or trade for a 12/0
2. Keep as a collectable
3. Fish it

I like nice stuff with a story and history.  Im in no hurry to get rid of it or use it. 

I dont want to be the idiot with the last nib and to use it.  Thats why I say im not sure how rare it is, or if im just lucky. 

If it's rare I want someone to enjoy it on their shelf, while im using a 12/0.  If I'm just lucky I will probably fish with it, meaning these are out there, just not alot.

May you live long, and fish often.

Shark Hunter

Just to compare, this is my latest 9/0 that I gave the same money for. It has an aluminum spool, partial brace and no clamp. I have the brace parts and the clamp doesn't matter, because its for the new frames. The parts list will be as follows.

Tom Hyrinuk custom frame
SS Sleeve
Adam's insert kit
SS Double dogs
Black pearl gears
SS yoke
The finished product should look a little like this.

Life is Good!

Shark_On

Unless a collector wants to buy it message me your offers, im going to fish this reel, make memories dragging sharks on the beach, and take good care of it. 

I have HT100 washers and cals grease on the way. 

Rivverrat

I think it would be a good thing either way. Fished or a collector getting it. While I have guns & fishing gear that do not get used often as I stated prior I dont have room for stuff that just sits, for no more reason than to look at it.   I do understand peoples enjoyment of a hobby of collecting certain things.  

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark_On on June 19, 2015, 08:01:08 PMEven if I put some money into this reel Im happy with my purchase, it is in perfect condition, and I love the history, just reading this site has me hooked.

And so, it begins . . .

Welcome to the Forum . . . Have no fear, because the good folks here will get that 9/0 into better shape than when it was brand new !

Tight Lines ! ! !

Dave

Shark_On

This site should come with a warning...collecting gear, repairing rods and reels plus fishing are addictive behaviors, may cause loss of paychecks and weekends.  If you cant afford bait, switch to lures, and cast nets.  If your fishing trip last more than four hours, dont seek a doctor just keep fishing. 

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark_On on June 19, 2015, 08:33:31 PMI took off the handle and pulled the drag washer set out, brand new (meaning original old BUT unused) looking drag washers.  I hope you can tell from the picture, but these are perfectly good. 

Those appear to be the original ASBESTOS drag washers from "back in the day" . . .

Shark_On

I had my talented friend take some better pictures for me.  Here is the 9/0 reel in good light.  It is not 100% perfect, I would say 9 out 10.  It was spooled with mono, but does not show any signs of use at all, just looks handled a bit.

Shark_On

A few more angles.  Sorry, I guess Im a proud new owner, like to show it off.  I have few friends that appreciate this kind of gear. 

I did see an absolute perfect 9/0 of the same era, with complete box and all go for $455 on ebay.  It was totally new, untouched in box however.

David Hall

I see what you mean by lightly used, theres a couple visible fingerprints near the handle arm.

Of course Im kidding, its a beauty upgrade per shark hunters post, less the TH frame cuz you cant get that either but all the new SS internals and it will be more than a beauty it will be a Big shark slayer!

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.