Another 850SS

Started by basto, June 23, 2015, 11:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Got my second 850 today in a swap deal. I think the guy I swapped with thought I was nutts because the reel I swapped was as new and the 850 looks beat up.
The line on the spool looks like 50 lb mono, but the drag is stock.
The insides look well lubed and the reel runs very smoothly. The bearings all came out easily and were very well greased.
You can`t judge a book by it`s cover.
The little bonus with this reel is that it came with a brass oscillating gear. It doesn`t have any badging left on the housing and has a little rotor play, but I am very happy with it.
My other 850 is in very good condition inside and out, so I will use this one to fish.It will be used with 20lb mono.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

thorhammer

Nice. Looks like my SS's and as far as I am concerned, thats how they should look.....warriors with scars and not princess shelf queens. Just my .02.

John

LTM

Quote from: thorhammer on June 23, 2015, 01:19:39 PM
Nice. Looks like my SS's and as far as I am concerned, thats how they should look.....warriors with scars and not princess shelf queens. Just my .02.

John
John,

Tell you what John. Cause I like you and Im going to save you from yourself. Just send over any "princess shelf queens" Penn SS reels to me, so I can save you from having a princess on the shelf while you fish a "warrior". I wouldnt want you to get all "twisted-up" mentally like that. Make sure if you get one new in box that you ship it next day air to me to get it out of your house as soon as possible.

Your friend,

Leo

thorhammer

lol! I will admit I have a few NIB things that will probably stay right there, but if I get a used one it goes back on a stick. I was servicing two 9500's and 850 last night from my Stream trip and noticed something I hadn't previously, the line roller on one 9500 was gold like it was coated with TiN or something. My older 9500 was from when they first came out and it's SS. The gold-rollered one has all brass gearing so is older also; anyone know anything about this change?

LTM

Thorhammer,

I never thought I would not fish a new reel but it has happened to me also. I think you are absolutely right. I have a few factory Penn line rollers that are TiN coated.

Leo

thorhammer

Hey Leo,

I probably have about two dozen SS's and one 440SSM; thinking on it I believe all the rest are straight SS.  I also noticed loctite red on the roller screw; not sure if thats from a previous service or from Penn.

John

LTM

I would remove the locktite red completely and only use (when necessary) locktite "blue" for future dis-assembly purposes. Glad you got a chuckle in regards to my response to saving you from those princess reels; I sure did.

Leo

thorhammer

loc tite def gone and I did indeed chuckle!