Heading back out...

Started by Aiala, June 23, 2015, 07:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Well, since I can't abide not knowing when my next trip will occur, I just signed up for a ROYAL STAR 5-day Phenix Rods trip leaving Wednesday October 28th... yay! (Gives me an excuse to finally buy a Phenix... ;D ) Tuna, dorado, yellowtail (like I don't have enough??) and y'never know what else. Should be awesome.

Naturally it'd be terrific to have some other AT members along... anyone interested? (Pssst... Dominick... here's your chance. ;) ) Come one, come all!  :D

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MarkT

Funny,  I just booked the Phenix 10 day on the Excel leaving on Sunday, 9/27!  I already have a dozen Phenix's.  I had a blast on this trip last year and was already booked for the one in 2016.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on June 23, 2015, 08:30:53 PM
Funny, I just booked the Phenix 10-day on the Excel leaving on Sunday, 9/27! I already have a dozen Phenix's. I had a blast on this trip last year and was already booked for the one in 2016.

Geez, a dozen Phenix rods? That's the price of a Clarion trip... or two.  :o

I'll be content to have just one... and to go with it, I will have to get my classic 12T International 2-speeded by Cal.  :)

~A~

MarkT

If you want to get just one, a Black Diamond 700XH works well for 40-50#.  I used mine with an Avet JX Raptor with 50# for yoyo.  A Hybrid 760XH may make it into my quiver too before my next trip!

I have Black Diamond (PSW) 807ML, 808MH, 2 x 809H, 760H, 700XH, 809XHJ, 909XH and Black Diamond Hybrids (PHD) 700X2H and 700X3H.  Also a couple of M1 bass sticks.

My Seeker Black Steel G6480, G6470 and G6470H and my Ulua93H will tag along too.

Aiala

Those Black Diamonds are a bit pricey for my budget, Mark. I'm researching the Axis HAX-720H or perhaps HAX-780H. They're both rated 25-60 lb, which is a good range for me. :)

~A~

MarkT

They're real nice.  I had an Axis 820H that I won on the last Phenix 10 day.  I sold it to one of my son's friends a few weeks ago.  It was cord wrapped in black/blue with a turks head and I wanted a reel seat.  The Axis rods feel a lot more like a Calstar Grafighter than do the other Phenix's.

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on June 23, 2015, 07:59:45 PM
Naturally it'd be terrific to have some other AT members along... anyone interested? (Pssst... Dominick... here's your chance. ;) ) Come one, come all!  :D

Aiala I live these trips vicariously. As much as I would like to hang out with you and fish I cannot abide the thought of being on a yawing, pitching contraption for 5 days (in good weather or bad).  It sounds like torture.  I fish down in Mexico one day fishing the next day frit the day away drinking cold beer and ogling around the swimming pool. Then repeat.  That's my style.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I like your style Dominick. ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on June 23, 2015, 11:56:08 PM
Quote from: Aiala on June 23, 2015, 07:59:45 PM

Aiala I live these trips vicariously. As much as I would like to hang out with you and fish I cannot abide the thought of being on a yawing, pitching contraption for 5 days (in good weather or bad).  It sounds like torture.  I fish down in Mexico one day fishing the next day frit the day away drinking cold beer and ogling around the swimming pool. Then repeat.  That's my style.  Dominick

Ogling ??? Do you ware 8) Or just do it all natural? ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 24, 2015, 12:19:52 AM

Ogling ??? Do you ware 8) Or just do it all natural? ;D
Joe I don't do it dirty old man style behind the sun glasses.  I stare openly.   :o Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on June 23, 2015, 11:56:08 PM
...I cannot abide the thought of being on a yawing, pitching contraption for 5 days (in good weather or bad).

Fair enough, Dominick, but I suggest that you may have a slightly skewed notion of what these fishing yachts are like. They are not exactly "contraptions".  ;)

Quote from: Dominick on June 23, 2015, 11:56:08 PMI fish down in Mexico...

Been there, done that... and it is torture.  ;D

~A~

BTW, I just saw "Jurassic World". To call it "inane" would be extremely generous.  ::)

fIsHsTiiCkS

Aiala, can you post a link to the trip? I would love to check it out!

Aiala

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 24, 2015, 03:36:00 AM
Aiala, can you post a link to the trip? I would love to check it out!

Sure thing! It's the fourth trip in October, the one leaving Wednesday the 28th at 10 am: http://www.royalstarsportfishing.com/schedule.php 

There are more links at the top of the page about the boat, tackle, etc. I don't know if you've ever been on ROYAL STAR before, but in my (not entirely impartial) view it is the best-run, most service-oriented operation in the entire fleet.  :)

~A~

coastal_dan

Sounds like a blast!  Aiala if you don't want to two speed your own I believe Randy has a 12LT already done by Cal for sale, you'll have to double check though...

Looking forward to pictures!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Shark Hunter

I guess this is the Sea dog's view. ::)
Life is Good!