Okuma Titus Lever Drag - drag material?

Started by Jason Groombridge, June 24, 2015, 01:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Groombridge

G'day Guys,

I got an Okuma Titus lever drag in for service yesterday. On pulling it apart the drag washer is an off white colour and looks a bit like canvas! What is this drag material and should I grease it with Cal's?

Cheers

Jason

Bryan Young

Canvas.  I would replace it with greased Carbon Fiber.  I would send Dawn of SmoothDrag the dimensions to see if she has something close that will fit your needs.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jason Groombridge

G'day Bryan,

My customer doesn't want to pay for an upgrade. He just wants the reel serviced.

What do you reckon, grease on the canvas or not?

Cheers

Jason

Jason Groombridge

Doesn't matter, I just found this from Alan http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1142.0

Looks like canvas needs to be dry.

Cheers

Jason

PS I should use the search function more!

jonnou

The search function is not the best. It comes up a Goldie sometimes though. I have cut one of these from sheet before. Pity your customer wont bring it up to its Potential. Hope he doesn't lose a fish of a lifetime.
Best regards Jon

Jason Groombridge

G'day Jon,

Your'e dead right. Seeing as this reel has a plastic (not graphite) frame, a smoother CF drag would definitely help I reckon.

Cheers

Jason

sundaytrucka

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post some info for future inquiries.

The canvas washer being spoken of is actually a backing "washer" to the carbon fiber washer, the reel you were working on was missing the carbon fiber drag washer.

I frankly do not know the engineering purpose of the canvas backing, only functional thing I can think of is to keep the reverse side of the carbon fiber washer clean and uncontaminated by keeping it away from the bare metal of the spool. IMO.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

barkley1956

Quote from: sundaytrucka on September 10, 2015, 06:06:55 AM
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to post some info for future inquiries.

The canvas washer being spoken of is actually a backing "washer" to the carbon fiber washer, the reel you were working on was missing the carbon fiber drag washer.

I frankly do not know the engineering purpose of the canvas backing, only functional thing I can think of is to keep the reverse side of the carbon fiber washer clean and uncontaminated by keeping it away from the bare metal of the spool. IMO.

I just opened one as well and it only has the "canvas" washer. Are you sure it had a carbon in it?

Robert Janssen

Depends on age and model. Old Titus Silver, no carbon. Some Semi-old Titus Gold, no carbon, but updated later with carbon. Don't know if that applied to all markets or all reels. As has been seen, ymmv.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: barkley1956 on October 13, 2015, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: sundaytrucka on September 10, 2015, 06:06:55 AM

I just opened one as well and it only has the "canvas" washer. Are you sure it had a carbon in it?

I think I stand corrected,  as Robert eluded, this model and past versions have been updated and retro-fit with carbon fiber washers as the correct drag washer, the Okuma parts schematics list the replacement drag washer as CF.

The only canvas material I have seen in these reels was a very thin material canvas used as a backing to the CF washer in place, this is in my limited experience working on this specific model.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.