Bay striper fight

Started by the rockfish ninja, June 24, 2015, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

Haven't been able to get out for Lings & rockfish due to the boats in my area having a bang up time with stripers right now (the bay is sick with them these days) so I got invited to a free trip as a guest of one of the SF wharf captains. On top of that I won the pot with the big fish and was able to shut up Capt. Tom from talking trash all week... "Tony, I'm a boat captain, I'll out fish you everyday of the week and twice on Sunday".

*The 2 fish I'm holding aren't even mine, we just grabbed the closest fish to take the shot, but just look at the local wharf rat gang, like a bunch of hooligans.

picture uploading

hosting image
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Dominick

Yea Tony.  Good Job.  How about more details?  Like which boat, where did you catch the fish?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

the rockfish ninja

Details, details,.. OK Don Dominick, you know I could never keep secrets from "the family".

Lovely Martha SF wharf- Capt Mike is a great guy.
Live bait bouncing the mouth of the Goldengate, the rockpile, and the Berkeley flats, windier than $#it out there.
Lamiglas tfx7830c inshore rod (extra fast) Avet SXJ MC with custom speed knob (Alan Tani custom mod) spooled with 45lb Suffix 832 braid
40lb mono leader tied to a 3/0 black chrome Danielson octopus hook above an 8 oz torpedo sinker
threaded through the nose of a California Pacific Anchovy (Engraulis mordax)
smoked turkey sandwiches, pepperoncini, San Pellegrinos and a Casa de Garcia Belicoso

Shark Hunter

Hooligans Indeed! ;D
Nice Fish!
Life is Good!

Dominick

Thanks Tony.  My go to sandwich on a boat is peanut butter and jelly.  It's not greasy , goes down easy even if I'm queasy.   ;) Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Dom, you gotta fish with me on my boat.  As soon as I hear 'sssssss' in my ear from the wind, it's time to go in!   ;D ;D  And it's an open Whaler Outrage.

To hell with queasy I say.

Nice report OP!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Dominick on June 24, 2015, 07:36:10 PM
Thanks Tony.  My go to sandwich on a boat is peanut butter and jelly.  It's not greasy , goes down easy even if I'm queasy.   ;) Dominick

Queasy?!! PB&J?!! I thought U were a tough ole barnacle, I also thought you would mention the Dominican cigar but maybe they're too low budget to an aficionado like you.

Dominick

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.   :-* Dominick

Doug

I think that might depend on what the definition of IS is.  Sorry I couldn't resist   Doug

Aiala

Quote from: Dominick on June 24, 2015, 10:21:45 PM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. :-* Dominick

"And a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a Smoke."
                                                                                                       ~Rudyard Kipling, The Betrothed   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Quote from: Doug on June 25, 2015, 12:49:01 AM
I think that might depend on what the definition of IS is.  Sorry I couldn't resist   Doug
Hey Doug I get perverse pleasure beating the censors (moderators).  Google it.   ;) Dominick

Dominick

Yes Aiala you were posting as I was typing.  I remember that one.  Dominick

newport

Looks like a good time for everyone. I'm surprised there are so many stripers and that they are even thriving out there. From what I remember, they were only initially stocked once and not even that many. I would have thought the inbreeding would have been an issue by now.

Alto Mare

Great pic rockfish ninja, nice group of happy guys. The fish didn't look bad either.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on June 24, 2015, 07:36:10 PM
Thanks Tony.  My go to sandwich on a boat is peanut butter and jelly.  It's not greasy , goes down easy even if I'm queasy.   ;) Dominick

I had to comment on this Dominick, simply because PBJ is my favorite sandwich especially when I'm fishing in a boat. It is beyond a doubt the best remedy for motion sickness and for settling an upset stomach. I have a PB&J on an English Muffin almost every morning.

I haven't caught one stinking stripier this year, Today was our third trip to the Navy pier and still no Stripe Bass Ruth is the only one catching fish and they are Fluke but so far they have been shorts.         
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."