Bay striper fight

Started by the rockfish ninja, June 24, 2015, 04:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

tony, been hearing about the bite at the south tower.  remember the days when people would belly right up the tower itself?  man, the fish must be thick right in there.  too bad homeland security won't let us fish that close anymore!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Joe, Joe from Bradley beach caught a 40lb striper at the Sea Bright inlet.  Lots of fluke also.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: newport on June 25, 2015, 02:39:21 AM
Looks like a good time for everyone. I'm surprised there are so many stripers and that they are even thriving out there. From what I remember, they were only initially stocked once and not even that many. I would have thought the inbreeding would have been an issue by now.
Nah, they're almost pests by now, the DFG has a vote to lower the size limit to 16" I think and up to 3 fish bag limit. The best fighters in the area but I'd rather have something tastier like rockfish or cabezon.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: alantani on June 25, 2015, 03:35:26 AM
tony, been hearing about the bite at the south tower.  remember the days when people would belly right up the tower itself?  man, the fish must be thick right in there.  too bad homeland security won't let us fish that close anymore!
Don't need to, they're in the surf, at the gate, the flats, all over the place. The regulars are scratching out legal fish every day out at the pier.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on June 25, 2015, 04:25:08 AM
Joe, Joe from Bradley beach caught a 40lb striper at the Sea Bright inlet.  Lots of fluke also.  Dominick

That's great Dominick! Last night only one 30" stripier was caught, Last week they were killing the strip Bass on 50lb-er was caught. I'm just not catching the right tide and time yet. We will score,we just have to keep at it. When you say Sea Bright inlet, do you mean the Manasquan inlet. That and the Shark River inlet are the only inlets in the area. There is no Sea Bright inlet. Ask Joe what he was using,plug or bait. I have been using bait Cut Bunker & Sand Worm. Plugging with soft bait and mettle. That seams to be what they are looking for in the Sandy Hook bay. Fluke are loving Buck-tail and Berkley Gulps in any color buck-tail.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 25, 2015, 01:23:04 PM

That's great Dominick! Last night only one 30" stripier was caught, Last week they were killing the strip Bass on 50lb-er was caught. I'm just not catching the right tide and time yet. We will score,we just have to keep at it. When you say Sea Bright inlet, do you mean the Manasquan inlet. That and the Shark River inlet are the only inlets in the area. There is no Sea Bright inlet. Ask Joe what he was using,plug or bait. I have been using bait Cut Bunker & Sand Worm. Plugging with soft bait and mettle. That seams to be what they are looking for in the Sandy Hook bay. Fluke are loving Buck-tail and Berkley Gulps in any color buck-tail.   
Joe too many questions.  I told Joe to call you.  He fished the bridge that goes over the Naversink.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

Quote from: Dominick on June 25, 2015, 09:01:55 PM

Joe too many questions.  I told Joe to call you.  He fished the bridge that goes over the Naversink.  Dominick

Dominick: Which question was to many. ;D Now that makes more sense, where the other Joe was fishing. That is basically in the same body of water. Tonight we were on the pier and the bunker where as thick as carpet, you could almost walk on them...Blue fish were as thick as bunker 8#-15# Blues. We left early simply because we don't eat Blues and I hate loosing plugs to those BA$%#S. I lost two decent baits to short hits. If I wait for Joe to call the season will be over :D ;D
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

newport

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 26, 2015, 01:23:07 AM

Dominick: Which question was to many. ;D Now that makes more sense, where the other Joe was fishing. That is basically in the same body of water. Tonight we were on the pier and the bunker where as thick as carpet, you could almost walk on them...Blue fish were as thick as bunker 8#-15# Blues. We left early simply because we don't eat Blues and I hate loosing plugs to those BA$%#S. I lost two decent baits to short hits. If I wait for Joe to call the season will be over :D ;D
I'm curious, what state are you in?

Dominick

Newport I'm in Northern California on the peninsula 19 miles south of San Francisco. Joe (reel 224) and my fishing buddy are in NJ.  We are referring to the area south of Sandy Hook at the Navasink River confluence.  Dominick

Reel 224

Quote from: newport on June 26, 2015, 02:29:00 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on June 26, 2015, 01:23:07 AM

I'm curious, what state are you in?

The state of confusion!!  ;D ;D

Capt Ahab

Try the ocean side surf for those stripers!  Night time is the right time

BTW  - stupid plover birds have the false rip closed at Sandy Hook

Great Cali Stripers - glad to see they are doing well there for you! 

Reel 224

Quote from: Capt Ahab on June 26, 2015, 10:34:18 AM
Try the ocean side surf for those stripers!  Night time is the right time

BTW  - stupid plover birds have the false rip closed at Sandy Hook

Great Cali Stripers - glad to see they are doing well there for you! 

Sandy Hook bay is where we are fishing, Off the Earl WS Pier. We got a late start this season for the Stripier bite so know we will concentrate on Fluke until Fall. I wish there was some Tog out there or Sea bass. I can't handle Head Boat fishing because of my knees,and Surf fishing is definitely out for me anymore. It's the pier or Manasquan Inlet or the PP Canal where I can sit and fish....sucks but I refuse to fall pray to my afflictions, I love fishing and so does my wife.   

newport

I usually fish the cape may area and sometimes further north to long beach island, but haven't really fished any further than that. I always thought about checking out sandy hook just to change things up a bit. I might of fished there when I was little. I only got two keepers this year, so it's been tough. Anyway, good luck on your pursuit.

Reel 224

Quote from: newport on June 27, 2015, 06:00:02 AM
I usually fish the cape may area and sometimes further north to long beach island, but haven't really fished any further than that. I always thought about checking out sandy hook just to change things up a bit. I might of fished there when I was little. I only got two keepers this year, so it's been tough. Anyway, good luck on your pursuit.

Thanks newport, I think this season is finished but the fall season will give us a second chance. Fishing as most of us know is putting in your time and effort. We were late getting out there this spring and didn't get out as much as we should have. We should have more time in a few weeks.

Alto Mare

Don't give up so quick Joe, I've caught some in the middle of August, not far from you.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.