Omoto KTB 300 underhead aka "what the heck is this" ..

Started by steelfish, June 25, 2015, 06:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on July 01, 2015, 11:22:25 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on July 01, 2015, 11:00:23 PM
They would still work just fine.

are you sure, Sal? (no questioning your knowleage) but I just dont know if the ones I have even having less contact material work the same, worst or better than stockers)

cuz I have 3 sets of the same size than the one inside the main gear, they are almost the same OD size but the ID is bigger.
I wasnt sure to use them or getting some from Dawn at smoothdrag which are custom cuts almost identical to stockers to have more contact material

Almost all of the drag force is created by the outermost rim of the washer. The interior volume has almost no effect on drag. The inner diameter just matches up with the gear sleeve mostly but is otherwise arbitrary.

Somewhere around here we had a long discussion about this. When calculating the braking force it is the radius from the axis of the disc that matters, area means nothing.

steelfish

if thats the case, then I can just put some of the CF drags I have on hand and continue to finishing the reel, I just need to do every steps backwards, sounds pretty easy

one last question for you guys.
maybe you didnt notice the other thread   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14669.msg151091#msg151091

So, the stock drag stack size is 5.84mm (drag washers+metal washers) while the new drag stack with the HT-100 I have its only 5.07mm

5.84 - 5.07 = 0.77mm short

in order to reach the stock height I need to add a metal washer or double one CF somewhere in the sandwiched washers

if I use an extra metal washer it will be used at the end so, double metal washer on the top (metal washer is 1mm)
if I use an extra CF washer where is the best place to put it?   (CF washer is 0.80mm)
which of the both ways is better and could work safer and longer on the reel?

thanks in advance for all your help

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

I usually cut my own washers and what you're having would never be an issue for me, I have many different CF thickness and don't mind mixing them up.
In your case, I see a good opportunity for a Delrin washer on top. Oh, make sure you put one under the gear as well ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 02, 2015, 01:01:50 AM
I usually cut my own washers and what you're having would never be an issue for me, I have many different CF thickness and don't mind mixing them up.
In your case, I see a good opportunity for a Delrin washer on top. Oh, make sure you put one under the gear as well ;)

hmm now to quest for delrin under main gear and some on top, where is the best place to find them on the sizes I need?

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Dawn has some, but if you can't get them, pm me your address and I'll put them in the mail.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Steelfish, this seems to be a very solid built reel. If the only week point is the reel foot. Shoot some pics of it. Might be able to modify it. I say that could easily be a 30-40 lb reel

fIsHsTiiCkS

Nvm, just looked at the first post. Looks like it is a whole unit. Is it plastic or graphite?

steelfish

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on July 02, 2015, 02:37:48 AM
Nvm, just looked at the first post. Looks like it is a whole unit. Is it plastic or graphite?

Hard yo tell but if I have to choose one I'd say its graphite cuz its thick, solid but really light
The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

If graphite I'd say it's safe to run this as a 30lb reel. Just depending on the drag you get out of it. Just such a solid internal build. Might be a great jigging reel.

steelfish

I got an email from Omoto,
so, now Im pretty sure that reel foot is graphite LOL.
maybe I will take to offer of the omoto lady and order an extra reel foot and plastic levelwind gears, I think those are the only "breakable" parts on the reel, well at least while fighting a good fish.

=================================

Dear Mr. Alex,
Well received your mail.  For your questions, the material of drag washer is Telfon and the reel foot is made of graphite.  This reel was built in Y2000, for the time being, it is a discontinued model and most of the parts are no longer available at the moment.  However, we will try best to check the availability once receiving your definite parts demand.    Attached is the schematics for reference, please check and let us know the part number you need.  Thank you.
Best regards,
Teresa Lin

Omoto Fishing Tackle Co., Ltd.
The Baja Guy

SteveL

Quote from: steelfish on July 02, 2015, 06:26:07 AM
Attached is the schematics for reference, please check and let us know the part number you need.  Thank you.

I assume you have the model number on the schematic that Omoto sent you.   Since I didn't see it in the thread, it is an OMOTO KTB300 SD.

A quick search of this model on google pulls up a few articles with pictures, one on a Vietnamese site, and this one on an Israeli site:

http://www.israelsportfishing.co.il/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1090%3A-omoto-ktb300-sd&catid=100%3A2011-01-10-20-49-29&Itemid=1

Google Chrome offers to translate this page to English (poorly), but it does have several pictures of the reel and shows the original handle.

steelfish

hello Steve, thanks for the information.

even though I did recieved the squematics from a lady from Omoto it doesnt have the name on it, it just have"Omoto KTB part list".
to tell the true I havent even looked into this reel for few weeks now, too much work and some reel projects and repairs have left this omoto reel on the pending list.

thanks for giving me the name of the reel, there is not much info on it. I will try that lady from Omoto to see if she still can find for me some spare parts of the levelwind assembly and maybe one extra the reel foot, put the carbontex drags that I already have for it (thanks Sal for those custom cut CF drags) and call it a day on mods for this reel, and of course fish with it to see how bad or good it was

The Baja Guy

SteveL

I knew I had the model number somewhere, I just had to stumble upon it.   I saw this reel on the omoto website years ago, and I inquired about pricing and availability a couple years ago.   Thought it would be an unusual reel on lake lanier, and something of a conversation piece.   If the price was right, I was going to order several and give them as gifts.  Too bad they were no longer available.

I occasionally search ebay for the model number, but I have never found one even  in the completed listings.

steelfish

Quote from: SteveL on August 19, 2015, 07:48:43 PM
 Thought it would be an unusual reel on lake lanier, and something of a conversation piece. 

pretty sure this reel would be a great lake reel even for big cats (maybe not monster cats) but 110% agree on be a conversation piece.
I read somewhere something about this reel was on the $150 dls mark when it was available and could handle 18# tunas easily.

good luck on your search
The Baja Guy