114 HLW Drag Question

Started by SantaBarbarian, June 27, 2015, 06:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaBarbarian

I have a 114 HLW with a Tiburon frame that I've used for years. I use Cal's Drag Grease on the washers and  tested the drag today on a scale before taking it out. With the drag buttoned down I get 22 lbs which is plenty for my trolling applications. The problem is that the handle binds when cranking. When I back off on the star to where the handle turns easily the drag setting is at 16 lbs. Any ideas as to what is causing the binding? I have never had a star drag reel behave this way and would like to keep this reel in service.

Thanks,
Gary

RowdyW

Hi SB, I would take it apart and see if any of the CF washers are stuck to the metal washers & then relube the washers with Cal's. Try that & while in there just look it over and see if anything is out of place, worn, or broken.

Alto Mare

Could be a couple of things.
Some of the older metal washers are cupped slightly, that would do it, also, check the washer for under the main gear, it might need replacing.
22 lbs is just about right, using the 5 washers. If you would like a smoother working reel try Bryan's kit, that will definitaly smooth it out, but you'll need a Delrin washer for under the gear.
You will also have other options, but the cost increases.
Here is a killer kit, one of the best to date:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13341.msg134338#msg134338
Don't be surprised if we keep changing things around here, that what most of us enjoy.
You will not find a reel of the same class that will work as smooth as this one above at 25-30 lbs.
With that said, you will probably get away with a new set of drags, $11 won't break the bank:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx

Just in case you want to join us with the crazy upgrades, me or others here will hep if you have any questions.
Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SantaBarbarian

Thanks all,

I found what was causing the problem, I had the drag tension washer out of sequence causing the star to bottom out against the side plate. ( Last time I do a reel without looking at a diagram.) All is well now and I enjoy tinkering with my older stuff. I hotrodded my  squidder, jigmasters,and senators. I haven't gone the double dog route yet, I have Accurate side plates for all but my 114HLW and don't want to cut on the aluminum just yet.

This is a great site to help anyone who tinkers with their stuff.

Gary

Alto Mare

Not easy to get the star to bottom out on these :-\, but, I'm glad you got it working again.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

You are right, Sal -- not easy to do.

The first thing I thought of was a spacer issue since the drags were likely replaced with modern thinner ones.

Then I thought about the drag stack sequence -- and went to a couple of 6/0s on the bench -- and discounted that idea since there was so much free space between the star and plate -- even if the sequence was mixed.

So I just left it to the experts to solve.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Quote from: foakes on June 28, 2015, 01:24:51 AM
You are right, Sal -- not easy to do.

The first thing I thought of was a spacer issue since the drags were likely replaced with modern thinner ones.

Then I thought about the drag stack sequence -- and went to a couple of 6/0s on the bench -- and discounted that idea since there was so much free space between the star and plate -- even if the sequence was mixed.

So I just left it to the experts to solve.

Best,

Fred
You are the expert Fred, I'm just one of your pupil ;). Well, the bottom line is that Gary got it to work and that's what we look for here.

Sal