Grease or Oil for bearings on Charter Special for trolling

Started by AlasKen, June 28, 2015, 07:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlasKen

I have a couple of Charter Specials that I only use for trolling or Deep water jigging for rockfish or halibut.  These reels don't get used for casting.  I am fishing in AK and usually in 80' - 200' if that matters.  I have read here that the grease packed bearing last longer that oiled bearing but oiled have better free spin.  In the use I mentioned would I be ahead just t pack them all.  I have a bearing packer from Alan that makes it almost fun to pack bearings.  Thanks.  Ken

So far in the last 6 weeks I have serviced a Charter special 1000, a Senator 113, a Senator 113 HLW, and an Okuma Titus T20.  So far they have worked since service.  Prior to finding this site I hadn't serviced any reel.

AlasKen

I decided to experiment and see which works better for me.  I did one with reelX and the other packing all bearings.  After a season fishing them I will tear them down and see if I see a difference.  I will also note if there is any difference in fishing them.  Ken

swill88

Rancanfish

I think if the reels are getting splashed on regularly I would want to grease them. Especially since they are not being cast.

My reels get a little salt spray going out and returning to port in my open center console boat so I grease mine no matter what I'm doing.  Quick fresh water flood at home.

I have zero reels with corrosion issues.  (Alan drummed it into my thick head over a decade ago).

We'll see if it makes a difference at the end of your season though.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

johndtuttle

I think you are making the right call to go with Grease. Proper Marine Grease is amazing stuff in the saltwater environment when casting is not part of the equation.

AlasKen

The 2 things I try to always do at the end of a trip is rinse the motor with fresh water and rinse all rods and reels used on the trip with fresh water.  I use a spray head set to mist and give them a good soaking while trying not to pressure water or salt into the inner workings.  Even with my reels that I fished straight out of the box with no preventative servicing when I cracked them open after several years of use I had little to no corrosion on the inner workings.  I did have some external corrosion where I must not have rinsed as well as I should have.  I am going to guess I see little difference after a year.  My uneducated guess is where I would see a potential difference would be after 4 or 5 years of usage and neglect with no interim servicing.  You know kind of like I more typically treated my stuff before finding out how to do this myself.  If I was sending out a reel to my son or son in law that wasn't used for casting I would grease it all as I might not see it again for years.  Ken  

AlasKen

I fished both reels on the 4th.  We were dropping and not casting.  I could really determine no difference between the 2 while dropping jigs.  The only situation I had was when my wife was using the one with oiled bearings she ended up with a rats nest when it backlashed on her.  I didn't see what she did but as an experienced husband I just continued fishing, asked no questions and let my son help her out.  It was not a time for questions.  For my use unless I see something unexpected at the end of the season I will just grease all bearings on these reels.  I use a spinner for casting anyway.  Ken