Darn Bycatch

Started by SoCalAngler, June 28, 2015, 09:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I hate when these things spoil my fishing fun. I'm still on vacation and will post a report when I get back home.

Dominick

Hey SoCal are you down in Loreto?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Nice looking Striper!

That gal is a bit bigger then we grow 'em here in Hawaii.

Here are the results of an age and growth study, combined with DNA stock structure analysis, on the Striped Marlin.  Our program contributed all of the samples used in this analyisis.  All of the aging work was performed by my good friend Dr. Bob Humpreys at our on-site lsb.  Take a look see if your interested..

Age and Growth of Striped Marlin, Kajikia audax, in the Hawaii ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=LGyQVZfUPJGqogThj5zoBg&url=http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PFRP/nov12mtg/kopf.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGtMHR9TQcuV6nYRZDC8mxyMbcZlA
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ChileRelleno

Dagblasted billfish eating all the primo baits.  :o
Man what a life.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

jonnou

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 28, 2015, 09:48:51 PM
Nice looking Striper!

That gal is a bit bigger then we grow 'em here in Hawaii.

Here are the results of an age and growth study, combined with DNA stock structure analysis, on the Striped Marlin.  Our program contributed all of the samples used in this analyisis.  All of the aging work was performed by my good friend Dr. Bob Humpreys at our on-site lsb.  Take a look see if your interested..

Age and Growth of Striped Marlin, Kajikia audax, in the Hawaii ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=LGyQVZfUPJGqogThj5zoBg&url=http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/PFRP/nov12mtg/kopf.pdf&ved=0CBwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGtMHR9TQcuV6nYRZDC8mxyMbcZlA

Interesting Article.
I am of the Belief that most igfa records are held in New Zealand. this would explain why

MarkT

Yeah, darn by catch. I was fishing for Calicos today, really I was, when I got this pesky Bluefin. Okay, maybe not!

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Marcq

That's a bloody mess  8)

Marc..

Capt Ahab

That is AWESOME!  We had a a big Blue Marlin take my new spreader bar to the horizon two weeks ago,  If you manage to catch that horse please return spreader bar  ;D

SoCalAngler

If you look at the striper you will see the weights we were using to catch some bottom grabber sea monsters. Fishing at 500" deep on a high spot my first fish was a berrilete and I'm thinking what the heck, why is this fish so deep? Rick, fishing with my farther and myself this day drops down and at about 200" his line topsand he gets picked up by the marlin in the picture. I'm thinking to myself this is some weird fishing for sure.

A few minutes later things settle back to somewhat normal type of fishing when I bring up a 30 lb grade yellowtail from the 500 foot depth. Here is a pic of Alejandro, also fishing with us today, on the right with one of the Baqueta we caught on the same high spot and his buddy holding my 30 lb YT.

No real sea monsters caught today but a honorable mention should go to Rick for catching this 40 lb Baqueta, that fits in the almost a sea monster class.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Dominick on June 28, 2015, 09:42:49 PM

Yes Dominick I was down in Loreto fishing a tourney but I'm back home in So Cal now.

SoCalAngler

Oh and by the way that marlin only went around 105 lbs but we did catch another while looking for dorado that went around 125 lbs which is a respectable size in Loreto for a striper but not a monster either.

Alto Mare

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 30, 2015, 04:28:30 AM
Quote from: Dominick on June 28, 2015, 09:42:49 PM

Yes Dominick I was down in Loreto fishing a tourney but I'm back home in So Cal now.
Looks like you didn't do too bad Mark, thanks for the report.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Now I see why you hate fishing in Mexico.

The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Greetings from Loreto (me too!)

I think that the  Baqueta (Gulf of California local name) is  a star studded grouper  (Epinephelus niphobles).    11 dorsal spines, second spine the tallest.    The IGFA all tackle world record is 25 lbs, if you are into that kind of thing.

Tough for me finding decent sized dorado.  Little guys all over.   some nice roosterfish and even a few amberjack shallow enough to target with the fly.  Seen more marlin than sailfish so far.   Marine weather report the last couple days-   seas 0 ft.  winds 0-8 knots,  sunny.

Took a couple days off from fly fishing to do the deep drop fishing as well.  All big yellowtail, 25-40 lbs.     Just catching the bait deep  is a workout in this heat.    We got a baqueta ~15-20 lbs in about 600 feet with some current.   Captain nearly emptied a tld 30 to hit bottom.   No way I'm going to wind that thing in :)  Don't know how you deep drop guys do it...

-J

ChileRelleno

Electric reels, momma always did say, "work smart not hard".
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."