I love days like this

Started by Prof. Salt, July 27, 2015, 03:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

Saturday was supposed to be ugly. I really needed some offshore time, so I was taking a solo trip in whatever nature offered me. When I arrived at the beach I was astonished that the wind had layed and beautiful conditions were waiting... the action was so busy it took two videos to capture most of it. This first half is kings and spanish, but part two will feature a limit of cobia and plenty of other fish. My kayak is rated to carry 350 lbs, and with me, gear, and all the fish we were a little beyond that number as I ran the surf coming home. A heavy kayak is not nimble, but thankfully it was still stable. Stay tuned for the second half!

coastal_dan

So, if I come down there on vacation at some point do you do 'private charters?' Haha, thanks for sharing your videos.  One heck of a 'yak fisherman.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Prof. Salt

I don't charter, Dan but I do fish with company. Let me know when you're ready to head this way and I'll see what the weather will offer us.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

That last Cobia looked played out, how long was he on hook? Do they normally play out like that when hooked?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Prof. Salt

That was a king, and I really thought she was going to go belly up. I managed to get her moving and she swam away on her own but it took several minutes of CPR work. If I didn't already have a limit in the bag I would have kept that one, but she surprised me when she got her colors back and left under her own power.  I hope she made it, but the dolphin family hanging around might have had an easy catch for lunch. They were sure keyed in on my spanish mackerel!

conchydong

That is some kayaking kicking azz. Nice job.
I will admit, I am not ready for yakking. I still prefer being on a comfortable boat. ;D

Prof. Salt

Thanks, Conch. I fished a boat for years and thought I caught a lot of fish. When I got the kayak and there was no engine noise, my catch rate and fish size shot up. It seems that kings are very sensitive to engine noise in less than 40 feet of water. Our sea floor slopes gradually and I can't reach water that's  65 feet deep with a kayak.