Albacore Fishing

Started by Keta, July 28, 2015, 01:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Steve-O

Quote from: Keta on July 29, 2015, 12:16:57 AM
I'll take a photo of the jars.

I'll show you my jars....if you'll show us yours. :o :D ;D

Canned Coho! I will NEVER eat store bought tuna fish out of a can again.....it's cat food after canning Alaskan Salmon.

Sounds like a great trip.

Keta

Quote from: newport on July 29, 2015, 06:05:12 AM
Nice!  you pickle them?

No but I do salmon.

Quote from: Steve-O on July 29, 2015, 02:03:13 PMCanned Coho! I will NEVER eat store bought tuna fish out of a can again.....it's cat food after canning Alaskan Salmon.

Sounds like a great trip.

Home made canned tuna is far better than the floor sweepings and cat food you get from commercial canneries too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

I stated canning my albacore a few years ago.  Fantastic move and it is so delicious to just eat right out of the jar.  I don't add anything just the fish.  Haven't done salmon cuz I can't get passed the smoker.  I just smoke the belly and steak out and portion the back, vaccuum seal and freeze.   I sure hope I can get about twenty albacore canned this summer.  Need my pantry stocked up.

Steve-O

I hear you on smoking the salmon vs canning. I was thinking right before the AK trip I would can up the last coho fillets.  They keep getting smoked! Down to few fillets and hardly any in the jars. Yikes! Come on September!

I like mine mixed with mayo and homegrown chow chow or pickle relish. Yum!

I do have some halibut left but hate to smoke or can it.  It goes from freezer to coooked to eaten. :D

Tightlines667

Why not compromise and can some with a drop of liquid smoke in the can?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 01, 2015, 03:09:33 AM

That would be worth trying and the only obstacle for me is filling the fish box with salmon and tuna,  so far this year salmon in the monterey bay has been slow to nothing at all and Albacore is not looking good so far I have not heard of a single positive report compared to a dozen hunters coming home empty.
YIKES
I never canned mackerel before?

TomT

For a good smoky taste, I always smoked my salmon at a very low temp and later canned it.  the canning process does more than all the cooking the salmon needs and the smoking beforehand gives it a great smokey flavor.
TomT

Meanwhile

Lee, drop by the boat to have a look?

See you at the Garibaldi OTC.

Randy

Newell Nut

Lee, nice to read about your successful trip and catching some wonderful tasting fish. Hope you do as well or better on your next adventure.

Steve-O

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 01, 2015, 03:09:33 AM

We use that on our crock pot made kahlua pork.

Next salmon canning session I might do one jar with a drop in it. Would hate to botch a batch. The smoker first for a short run then the pressure cooker sounds like a winner. Have heard of others dropping a little jalapeno sauce on top before sealing each jar. 

Lee, did you ever can halibut?

Keta

Yes, and it's good with a light smoke.

I do not like to use liquid smoke.  Put pre cut jar size chunks of unbrined fish in a the smoker for 20-30 minutes at less then 80°,  then put the fish into jars, add salt and can as usual.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Steve-O

I think Liquid Smoke tastes fake like some kind of burned ingredients. My wife uses it in the crock pot deal. Will try the light, short, cold smoke then can. My wife told me not to thaw and can the few we have left until I get back from AK with the freezer refill. Guess I can wait that long 36 days not counting the weekends. ;D