World's Largest Stingray

Started by Prof. Salt, June 29, 2015, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Salt

I'm sure they get larger, but this was the largest stingray I had ever seen. After two hours I finally got it beside the kayak but he had a bunch of cobia friends, so I parked him under the kayak while I picked off a few of the cobes, 'cause that's how I roll...  ;D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Fisherman Paul

Catching another fish while playing a Sting Ray, love it.

Stunning video, probably the best catch report i have ever
seen, without question, never seen an angler flicking out
and catching another fish at the same time as playing any fish
let alone something of that size.

Very impressive angling sir.

Prof. Salt

Thanks but I had selfish reasons for doubling up... in Kayak Wars, cobia are worth a lot of points so the extra effort comes easy. The ray seemed content to hang out while I was fraternizing with the cobes so it worked out.

I did learn this: Don't gaff a big stingray from the kayak. They're much stronger than you think!

Tightlines667

This reminds me of the song...

Hoz it go?  Something like...

Cobia...
And Large Rays...
Living together in perfect harmony...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Prof. Salt

I know that song!

Cobia and Stingarees live together in perfect harmony
Side by side in the water 'neath my kayak, why don't we?

ChileRelleno

:o
Dang'it man!
I thought I liked your videos before, but this is truly inspiring watching you work.
Doubling up and down, 300# +/- Southern ray on the line and jigging Cobes off it like it was nothing.
You Sir have some reel skills, Prof. Salt, the nick is very fitting.

Since there isn't a Video of the Month, I think this video should be Pic of the Month.  ;)
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Aiala

An extraordinary fishing episode, for sure! (I hope the stingaree was released unharmed.)  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Rare

Wanna see the whole fishing pier group move at one time....Yell, stingray- Everyone with rod in hand looking to spot a cobia. Nice catch and video- 8)

Not to steal you thread but 11ft by 6ft. That's Mark and his daughter. Did a fine job she did..

Shark Hunter

Nice shots Rare. What kind of reel is that with the red plates? I think it might be Rare. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Wow!...nice!
Any reason why you painted those plates?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rare

It was more of an orange. A Penn 12/0 modify. Not painted if i recall-I will check. My friend bought it off of Mark and i got to use it twice- beast on this shot won the battle. I would like to say it was the 14ft hammer we saw roaming

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Prof. Salt

Aiala, she was indeed released as unharmed as I could manage. She made it clear that I was not going to have the chance to remove the hooks directly from her, so I cut them as close as possible and she swam off strong.

I still can't wrap my head around how she ate the bait. A live 13 inch hard tail won't slow down very much, and how in the worl did she manage to eat it? She did manage to turn a typical morning into something more memorable!

swill88

Great report and video... thanks!