Leetle Calcutta is broken?

Started by Rancanfish, June 30, 2015, 02:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Hi I'm playing with an original Calcutta 50 that seems to have an intermittent anti-reverse.

If I reel normally forward and then stop, I can reel backward, sometimes for almost 180 degrees +.  Accompanied by grinding /crunching type feeling.  

Shimano guru opinions?  Broken parts replacement likely?

I don't really want to repair it if it's likely costly.  I will just return it if so.  

Thanks, Ran.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Zimbass

It sounds like the roller clutch bearing needs to be replaced. Not an expensive or difficult fix.

BNT1813 is the part number, and available from Southwestern Parts, and many others.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Zimbass on June 30, 2015, 03:54:35 AM
It sounds like the roller clutch bearing needs to be replaced. Not an expensive or difficult fix.

BNT1813 is the part number, and available from Southwestern Parts, and many others.

x2

Rancanfish

$24.00 isn't cheap.  The part is cheap but they want $12.00+ for shipping.

The mailing charges are apparently bigger in Texas too!

The freaking part could fit in a padded envelope I'd bet.

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

We'll see what the seller has to say.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 30, 2015, 04:58:48 AM
$24.00 isn't cheap.  The part is cheap but they want $12.00+ for shipping.

The mailing charges are apparently bigger in Texas too!

The freaking part could fit in a padded envelope I'd bet.

Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it.

We'll see what the seller has to say.

You should see what some of my fellow reel repairmen pay for expediated shipping for needed parts sometimes.  I've seen invoices for close to $40 on a few $1 washers.  All depends on your available options and immediate needs. 

In your case this is a common parts available through many different sources.  Check around, and you should find something that works for you.  Especially if you don't need to fix the reel right now.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tiddlerbasher

Rancanfish

I failed to mention it has zero freespool either.

This is just not worth what was paid.

Tiddlerbasher

There may be troubles ahead :D Get a reduced priced (to cover a new bearing kit) or send it back!

Keta

E-Bay?    Contact the seller, if it was not as advertised and they do not make good give them bad feedback and try to get your money back through E-Bay.

As for high shipping Shimano shipping is high but not over $5.00 for something like an AR bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain