Real versus stated drags, Avet Sx versus Omoto VS10

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, December 29, 2010, 12:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

@ Russ: I considered the Tyrnos at an earlier stage. As it was significant more expensive than the avet and because of the cast frame and graphite side plates I liked the avet and the omoto better. At the price you mentioned it would have been a contender much longer but I have now decided for the omoto VS10.

I think that the VS10 is a great reel for the light 20LB Penn rod.

I will put a braid on it which is sold as 20lb but which is much stronger in reality (tested as 43lb breaking by an australian guy who's hobby, besides fishing, is line testing)
I will probably use some backing of mono to avoid the braided line slipping on the spool)
(Alan, can I refer to his site? His site is non commercial except for a fishingline knot making tool and very informative with respect to strengths and thickneses for both mono and braided dyneema/spectra lines)

I've contacted Omoto to finalise the purchase of the VS10.

In addition I've been bidding on ebay on an Pelagic extreme Omoto Q16-II two speed trolling reel and guess what? I've won the reel for a decent price.  I've tried that for the VS10 a number of times but the bidding on ebay for VS10 ussualy results in a price above the brick and mortar shop prices >:(.

So, I got a new problem. >:(

I need a new rod  ;D and it must be a travel rod as well. I think it will be the new version of the Penn Overseas boat travel but in the 30lb or 50lb version. It is not in the shops yet (at least not over here) but it is said to be here in march.

If you guys have good advice on rods than it would be apreciated. The seller claimed 18 kg (close to 40lb) of drag but on the site of Omoto america you find a more realistic 30lb drag at full for the Omoto Q16-II. The Q16-II is 793 grams so almost twice as heavy as the VS10

If I would take the "one third rule" than the fishing line needs to be 3 times the strength of the drag (on average) and than the 50lb rod would be better as it looks a relatively light 50lb rod. I already own a beatifull Hardy 80LB one piece big game rod but that is way to heavy (never fished it, I inhereted it from my dad)

I've also taken steps to plan my early summer fishing trip and warmed up a couple of friends who are all non-fisherman but are willing to take the plunge and go with me to the Canary Islands to go after blue marlin (don't worry, there is heavy tackle on board, I'm not going to take on a 1700lb marlin on a VS10 ;D ;D)

Omoto, thanks for all your information so far on and offline, it has been a great help