Real versus stated drags, Avet Sx versus Omoto VS10

Started by Reinaard van der Vossen, December 29, 2010, 12:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinaard van der Vossen

I'm in for a new reel for a 20lbs Penn Overseas boat (travel) rod and after a lot of reading and investigating narrowed the choice down to two contenders. As it looks now the choice will be between the two reels mentioned in the topic subject, the Avet SX or the pelagic Omoto VS10, both with single speed.

The rod is new and last fishing trip I used an old Pflueger Ohio 1978 (that is the model number, the reel is much older)

These choices are made because I want a relatively small reel but whit good strong capabilities in case a somewhat larger fish would hook up (within reason of course)

The rod will bent to it's (almost) maximum when lifting 10 pounds of deadweight with it.  My guess is that if I have a good 10LB drag that it will be sufficient but If I could get a little extra that it might be helpfull in some situations.

From all the reading that i've done so far both reals are quite similar but there are some differences: The drag of the Avet Sx is stated as 9lb at strike and 14 lb at full. The Omoto VS10 is stated as 15 KG (>30lb) at full. It seems that the usable dragsetting when freespool is still required is 9 lb for the Avet and 6 lb for the Omoto before loosing freespool (and without modding the reel)  I could find no real figures of how realistic the maxumum stated drag figures are. I know somebody, appearantly in Germany, tested the Omoto with approx 20 lb drag as a probable max but cannot judge whether the test was done properly.
I have read the topic of Mr. Alan Tani about the VS10 which was very helpfull.

As a (kinda) newby, or better, re-integrator I have still little knowledge on how to judge this figures and what the best reel is. I was tempted to judge the Avet as the better reel as it used to be more expensive and Avet makes also very strong reels for large marlin etc. but I found now that the situation has changed and the avet is signifcantly cheaper than the Omoto. As far as I could check it the situation was reverse less then two years ago whit the avet being more expensive.  

As I will not use the reel often I would like to limit the expenditure on the reel, however not without having some more knowledge on how to judge the drags a little better.

If there is someone who has better information about the (usable) drag at full or can point me to where I could find the information it would be much apreciated.

PS: I would have to purchase overseas in both cases: the Avet in the US (appr. 150$) and the Omoto in Australia (approx 250$), both excl shipping

edit: I realize that this topic might have been better posted in another section of the forum. Is there a way to replace it?

Phinaddict

If the rod max is 10 lbs. of drag, either reel will suffice with capabilities of more than 10 lbs.

If you go over the 10 lbs. of drag, I think the question becomes not one of drag, but rather, one of which has the larger right side bearing. Both reels being of the same design, will bind up at high drag settings and become difficult to wind. The one with the larger bearing will at least be easier to wind under load.

I set my SX up with 50# braid and a short 20# topshot. It never gets over 8-9# of drag  and has worked out fine.
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 29, 2010, 12:00:24 AM

PS: I would have to purchase overseas in both cases: the Avet in the US (appr. 150$) and the Omoto in Australia (approx 250$), both excl shipping

We can sell you one for $130.00 + shipping....

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 29, 2010, 12:00:24 AM
. . . .
edit: I realize that this topic might have been better posted in another section of the forum. Is there a way to replace it?
Not a problem posting here. This is a typical "setting up your reel . . ." board question, but we'll move it later.
Welcome aboard!
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Reinaard van der Vossen

@ Phinaddict: The rod is a 20lb rod, my guess is that it is pretty much at the max curve at 10-11 lbs of weight when lifting (tried it with a jerrycan with 5 liters of water) I didn't dare to push it further but maybe it will go a little further than that. Probably that is around all the drag that the rod could take but I would like to have a little more just in case. I could always point the rod a little more towards the fish temporarily If I'm afraid that it breaks although I think that the Penn is a good rod and will not break easily

The binding which takes place at higher drag settings and the friction when winding is indeed something which I was concerned about but I'm not certain whether I should. If the drag functions without binding at approx 9 lbs that will suffice for most cases and I could ste the drag to full during a run of the fish and reduce the drag to approx 9-10 lbs when I start winding again.

@omoto: that might be an interesting offer because that makes it very comparable with the avet again and I can choose the reel I like most. Is it the latest model? They have seemed to have changed one of the side bearings for a larger one but I could not find  when they made the change. Is there a possibility to choose the color? Can you give me an estimate for transport cost to sent it to the Netherlands? Should we have this discussion outside the public forum? ( I dont know the exact forum rules yet)

alantani

thanks for you concern, but this board is a little different than most.  you will note that there are no advertising banners and there are no sponsors.  if someone would like to offer something for sale to the general membership that is fishing related, i am fine with that.  for instance, if omoto would like to put up a description of his reels, he can put a post in the "for sale" section and then paste a link on this post.  that would probably be the best way, that way his post will stay up for others to see.  

right now i think we can get away with a loose policy like this.  if things start to get too crazy, it may have to change, but that is a decision for the future.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 29, 2010, 11:20:15 AM
@omoto: that might be an interesting offer because that makes it very comparable with the avet again and I can choose the reel I like most. Is it the latest model? They have seemed to have changed one of the side bearings for a larger one but I could not find  when they made the change. Is there a possibility to choose the color? Can you give me an estimate for transport cost to sent it to the Netherlands? Should we have this discussion outside the public forum? ( I dont know the exact forum rules yet)

Those OMOTO VS-10 reels I have are the model with the larger side bearing. I only have it in silver color. The cost of shipping is around $35.00 for one reel by USPS Priority mail. The cost for shipping between 2 and 3 reels will be $45.00 by the same USPS Priority mail. Eventually, I will do what Alan Tani had suggested to post those reels in "for sales" forum.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Omoto, Pitty that they do not come in gold or gold/black. I am considering the silver one. Would there be any terms/conditions of sale that would apply to a possible purchase? I do not need the reel until april (yes, I plan in advance :) ) so slow transport would not be a problem if that would change transportation cost significantly. Sometimes I have friends that travel to the states, what would be the cost for transport within the US?

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 31, 2010, 12:20:54 AM
Omoto, Pitty that they do not come in gold or gold/black. I am considering the silver one. Would there be any terms/conditions of sale that would apply to a possible purchase? I do not need the reel until april (yes, I plan in advance :) ) so slow transport would not be a problem if that would change transportation cost significantly. Sometimes I have friends that travel to the states, what would be the cost for transport within the US?

The shipping within US will be around $11.00. That will save you a lot of money. You just need to send me a message when you are ready. I will also have few the newest model of VS12 Infinity X Power by the end of next month. You can search OMOTO VS12 X Power in google.

michaelc

Just wondering if it possible to retro-fit an AR bearing into a VS10 and a VS12.  I bought the 10 last year and my friend bought the 12 after using mine.
The double dog/AR bearing is certainly a step in the right direction reducing some handle back-play and making it more of a real jigger reel option.  

Black Pearl

Quote from: michaelc on December 31, 2010, 10:08:11 AM
Just wondering if it possable to retro-fit an AR bearing into a VS10 and a VS12.  I bought the 10 last year and my friend bought the 12 after useing mine.
The double dog/AR bearing is certainly a step in the right direction reducing some handle back-play and making it more of a real jigger reel option. 
That is possible. I will need to check with OMOTO Taiwan on that. I know the VS-12 can just add an AR bearing.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Best wishes to all of you.

Omoto, I looked up the Omoto VS12 X power infinity on google and am a little puzzled. Do al new VS 10 and VS 12 have the one way ball bearing (AR type) or should I check for the Infinity version of the VS reel. I also noted that the Omoto VS 12 X power infinity has 11 lb Max drag on strike with free spool & 18 lb Max drag.  Is this just more accurate and are the claims of 15kg drag a little over the top?

Are the drag washers and rings of the VS12 larger than those of the VS10 or is just the allowable pressure on the washers and the sideplate larger on the VS12?

Although it is stiil difficult for me to establish accurate information I tend to like the VS10 more because the rod is relatively light with 20lb. The VS12 looks like a reel that would fit nicely on a 30lb rod.

I know I have plenty of time before I need the reel but I don't have plenty of time before I want the reel. I do suggest we get in mail contact. I will sent you a PM

Black Pearl

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on January 01, 2011, 11:23:53 PM
Best wishes to all of you.

Omoto, I looked up the Omoto VS12 X power infinity on google and am a little puzzled. Do al new VS 10 and VS 12 have the one way ball bearing (AR type) or should I check for the Infinity version of the VS reel. I also noted that the Omoto VS 12 X power infinity has 11 lb Max drag on strike with free spool & 18 lb Max drag.  Is this just more accurate and are the claims of 15kg drag a little over the top?

Are the drag washers and rings of the VS12 larger than those of the VS10 or is just the allowable pressure on the washers and the sideplate larger on the VS12?

Although it is stiil difficult for me to establish accurate information I tend to like the VS10 more because the rod is relatively light with 20lb. The VS12 looks like a reel that would fit nicely on a 30lb rod.

I know I have plenty of time before I need the reel but I don't have plenty of time before I want the reel. I do suggest we get in mail contact. I will sent you a PM

Reinaard: VS 12 is a bigger reel than the VS 10. Therefore, the drag washers and rings are bigger than VS10. The VS 12 is the same size as AVET MXL. The 15kg (33lb) drag power claim is not truth at all. The lock down for VS 10 will be around 20lb, and VS 12 will be around 26lb. The 15kg was claimed by a seller in AU for selling point.

The X Power has a double dog system, while the Infinity has AR bearing installed. We mainly just carry the Infinity model.

Please note that OMOTO Taiwan is developing a VS 14......

Russ57

You might consider the Shimano Tyrnos.  jandh tackle has the size ten on sale for 99 bucks.  I just got one and it seems like a heck of a deal.  They used to be more than twice that.  The only thing I can complain about is the anti reverse is very loud.  I dislike an anti reverse bearing.

alantani

the tyrnos reels are a great deal.  they are not as easy to service as the tld's, but the aluminum frame clearly offsets that.  check the drag washer, though.  i've seen some that were literally flaking apart.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!