Day Two's Keepers From Loreto

Started by SoCalAngler, July 01, 2015, 01:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Here is the fish we kept on day two of my fishing and the first day of the tourney. I did catch another "bycatch" marlin when looking for dorado but I was on the fish so no pics on my camera but Rick did take some on his so maybe later he will send me a few.

steelfish

Beautiful cabrillas my friend.

They are great on the grill
The Baja Guy

conchydong

Looks like some great meals to me. Nice! Not being familiar with all of the Pacific fish, what type of Snapper is that? Looks somewhat similar to our Vermilions but much heftier.

Reel 224

Quote from: conchydong on July 01, 2015, 11:52:35 AM
Looks like some great meals to me. Nice! Not being familiar with all of the Pacific fish, what type of Snapper is that? Looks somewhat similar to our Vermilions but much heftier.

Glad someone else broke the ice with that question, I would like to know what species of fish they all are. The two on the top look similar to blue fish, the other single red looks like a red snapper and the two bottom brown spotted fish I have no clue....So if you would please educate me on those species of fish. ???
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

Two on the top are pasific Yellowtail
The red one its a Red pargo aka red snaper aka mexican "guachinango".
Two on the bottom are Leopard grouper aka Cabrilla.

All of them are best meat you can get on local fishes aka great day in the water
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Quote from: steelfish on July 01, 2015, 02:01:20 PM
Two on the top are pasific Yellowtail
The red one its a Red pargo aka red snaper aka mexican "guachinango".
Two on the bottom are Leopard grouper aka Cabrilla.

All of them are best meat you can get on local fishes aka great day in the water

Thank you. Now I wish I was fishing the Pacific coast. I feel a little stooped not recognizing the yellowtail Pacific or not. Just goes to show my limited quarry.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Steve-O

The top two are in the same family as Amberjacks, AJ's or "reef donkeys" as we call them in Offshore North Carolina vernacular. The Pacific versions are just better eating, IMHO, as they are a colder water fish.

Nice catches, thanks for sharing! ;D

Reel 224

Before the explanation, I just called them Fish! ;D

SoCalAngler

In this case these Cabrilla are actually Spotted Grouper in the pic but in Mexico many of the Grouper family of fish are called Cabrilla.