How do you set the drag on a reel

Started by RAM3, December 29, 2010, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM3

I bought a spring scale to see if I can set the drag on my redfish combo. Do you pull straight from the scale or do you pull up on the rod like you were fighting a fish to make the drag slip? How do you know what pounds you want the drag to slip on when your fighting a 5 pound redfish? Hope this post makes sense.

Thanks
Ramon

kamuwela

mount the rod and reel in a pole holder and pull at a downward angle like you are a fish. if you check the drag straight from the reel your setting will be much higher when installed on the rod. hope this helps.
                                                 aloha                                                               
                                                  kamu

RAM3

Thanks, if your fish is 5 pounds, what do you set your drag at?

alantani

i like to check a drag on a straight pull and also rearing back like you're fighting a fish.  you should note a 10% increase in drag pressure that is added from friction of the line on the rod guides.  if your drag pressure jumps more than 10%, there might be something wrong with your guides. 

never caught a redfish before.  i'd say, just set the drag by hand to a "normal" setting, then check it with scale.  i think you will be surprised at how low the drag is when you actually measure it.  can you check and let us know?  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Martianfish

I set my drag on a straight pull at about 1/3 of the line test.  That includes the leader, which ever is the weakest.  To do this I tie off my rig so that I can get a straight pull with the scale.  I pull it several times to make sure the drag stays the same, or I tweak it till I'm happy.  Like Alan said you will see a good jump in drag when you rearback on your rod.

RAM3

I realized last night that I was not asking the question correctly. I should have worded it, If I am using 20 pound test, what do I want to set the drag at? I was thinking at 10 pounds which would be half of the lines breaking strength. Is that to much or is it better at 1/3 like the previous post said.

Thanks
Ramon 

Bryan Young

1/3 is the rule of thumb based upon line, leader, and knot strength.  So, if you are using 20# test main line, 20# test leader, and knot strenght of 60-70%  (which is most knots), then, if your drags are at 1/2, you may break off when the fish changes direction.  If your drags are set at 1/3, then at least the drags will slow the fish down and not stop it.

Another good rule of thumb is to keep your thumb or other fingers off the spool.  I've seen a lot of fish break off due to the thumb drag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

25% is typical, but anything from 10 to 40% of line weight can be used. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RAM3

rod27

Is this at strike or full drag?  I have some 20lb test that i set at 10lbs at strike, and some 30lb test that i set at 13lbs at strike.  Both of these are stock Tyrnos 20's and 30's respectively with Momoi Hi Catch with 60-70lb(i forget) braid backing.  Tyrnos 20/30's are listed at 16lbs strike and 33lbs full, but ive gone a bit more conservative as i said.

Jim

Remember to give the rod a real rip back when you scale the drag. The inertia of getting the spool moving can really spike some drags.

SoCalAngler

I set my reels drag that have strait mono or long mono topshots at 1/3 of the weakest line be it the leader or mono backing. The strech of the mono reduces the chance of pulling hooks for me. On my reels with spectra backing and short topshots I set my drags at 1/4 of the weakest line. These are set at the strike position on my lever drag reels, that way if I want to increase the drag, like when tuna are going their death spiral at the end of their fight and I cant get their head pointed at the boat, I can move my lever forward past strike to increase my drag pressure.