Trinidad 12 or 12a

Started by JP1, July 02, 2015, 06:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JP1

Hi All
I love my trinidad 16 but want something a bit smaller so looking at a trinidad 12. Been trying to get a second hand 12 but proving difficult. Does anyone know of one for sale? Is the 12a as good as the original? is the size about the same in both versions. Is the corrosion resistance any better on the a model.
Thanks J

Bryan Young

Personally, would prefer a TN16N over a TN12 or TN14 because of the drag system and the installation of a spring loaded anti-reverse pawl.

With that said, I would choose a TN12a over a TN12 specifically for the corrosion protection.   The anodized sideplates are harder and the internal sideplates are ceramic coated.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Bryan,

I was interested in a gold model trini12 too

can you expand a bit more the differences on a trini 12 and trini 16, please?
I couldnt found any tutorial on the small 12/14 trinidad or teardowns to see the internals

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

the TN12 uses an ambassador style pawl, which uses 2 this metal wings on the AR rachet so when the handle goes backwards slightly, the anti-reverse pawl engages.  This gets gummed up at times and you loose that feature of the reel without knowing it.  The TN16 uses it too, but you can replace the ambassador style pawl with a spring loaded one.  There's just not enough room to put a good spring loaded AR pawl in that TN12

The drags are a bit smaller as well.  I like having larger surface areas if possible.

The TN16 is a little bigger and heavier, but to me, not substantial enough.

Other than that, they are great reels in any size.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

ok.. so the trini 12/14 will be forever under the ambassador stryle dog, how much drag is rated a 12/14 size upgraded with CF washers?

The Baja Guy

MarkT

The TN14 and 16N both hold the same amount of line, the difference being the form factor. The 14 is shorter/wider and the 16N is taller/narrower. The 16N/16/20/30 all have the same gears/drags. The 12/14 have the same gears/drags that are smaller than that of the larger Trini's.

I have a Fathom 12 that is very small but has the same gears/drags (rated at 25# of drag) as the Fathom 25! It will outcast a Trini and costs half (less?) of what the Trini does and would drag the Trini backwards until it drowned. It isn't as cute as the Trini but I like basic black.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MarkT

Quote from: steelfish on July 02, 2015, 08:15:47 PM
ok.. so the trini 12/14 will be forever under the ambassador stryle dog, how much drag is rated a 12/14 size upgraded with CF washers?

They tend to be good for up to 25# line.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

I was actually ask that.

Some reel as you say have the same drag as their bigger brothers
The Baja Guy