Braid for New Reels

Started by sgeorge, July 04, 2015, 10:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgeorge

I hate showing my age but it is necessary to make a point.

Back in the day, a 30 pound outfit was a balanced rod/reel and the reel was loaded with 30 pound mono.

Today, a 30 pound outfit seems to show that a 30 pound fluorocarbon leader or top shot is being used. The reel might be loaded with 40, 50, even 65 pound braid. I understand the size of your reel must be sized to what fish you are targeting, capacity is another consideration and drag pressure points back to that 30 pound leader or top shot.

So, I have reels picked out for a 30, 40, 50 and a dedicated yoyo. Do I simply load with 40 pound braid and adjust my leaders as necessary or should I adjust the braid according to what leaders I will be using?

Sorry for the naivete, I did this a bunch a long time ago and need to play catch up if I intend to do it again.

handi2

The braid I use underneath depends on the size of the reel. I think I used 65lb on my Baja Specials. Some guys come into the shop and want 100lb braid on their 4/0 reels for bottom fishing and the use a swivel to connect the 60 to 80lb mono leader.

Up here in the Panhandle of Florida most Snapper and bottom fishing guy's use 100lb braid. The Grouper guys use up to 200lb.

When I am spooling braid I use a bar of my sons Surf Wax and apply it to the bottom section of line closest to the spool. That line will never be seen.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sgeorge

Thanks for the reply. I know something about locked up drags and grouper.

I am planning to do some long range trips out of San Diego. Planning on an Accurate DX2-40N for 30, another for 40, a DX2-500N for 50 and a DX2-600NN for jigging. Looking at a big rod with an ATD 12 but I see that outfit as a means to an end, much prefer the lighter stuff.

Keta

60/65 for 50# and under 80 for 60# and 130 for up to 130# is what I do.  Some of my small kokanee/trout reels have 30#.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sgeorge

"60/65 for 50# and under"

This makes capacity an issue with most of my reel choices. I don't think 60 is going to get me enough yards on the DX2-400N, 500N or the 600NN. Thanks for the input and will keep looking.

SoCalAngler

Like Keta I like my braid at least one breaking strength over my mono, that way if I do have a break off most likely it will happen on the topshot and not the braid backing. On most reels with 60 lb and less toppers 300 yards is plenty of line for the type of fishing I do here in So Cal and Mexico. I have small reels like a mod'ed SL 20 SH that I run 40 lb braid over a short topshot of 30 lb mono or fluoro that I can get 300 yards of braid on. On other reels that I cast often or on jig sticks I like to have longer toppers of like 75 to 100 yards on top of my braid because I like casting mono better than braid and most often a snag, tangle or break off/saw off will happen with in the topshot allowing me to still fish without adding a new topshot. Short toppers like your talking about I use mostly for bait fishing, longer for plastics, surface iron and bait at well.

There is no "rule of thumb" for the amount of braid you have on a reel, for certain applications I like less and for others I like more. What it should really boil down to is can you get the yardage you want on a reel with at least the braid one breaking strength stronger than the mono/fluoro. 

Keta

Under 40# and you risk getting cut to the bone too.   I fish with a MXJ filled with 60# and have never had line capacity problems.  60# JB Line One is the same diameter as 20# mono.

Here's the data for 60# JB Line One hollow.
Test 60#   
Break Strength 70#      
Metric Diameter .381mm
Standard Diameter .015 inch
Mono Equivalent  20lb

Accurate says the 400N will hold 300 yards of .015" line.     http://www.accuratefishing.com/shop/dx2-400n/

The 500N holds 425 yards of 50# (50 and 60 are almost the same)  https://accuratefishing.com/shop/bx-500n/

The 600NN holds 300 yards of 65#   http://www.accuratefishing.com/shop/bx-600nn/

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sgeorge

Guys,

Thanks for the help. Did some digging and braid is thin stuff. Found Toro Tamer 16 strand hollow braid in 50 pound test that measures .331mm or .013in. Always believed in good line but this stuff costs money. A long way from a spool of tournament green Ande.

Bryan Young

Braid is expensive stuff but it will last a lot longer as it is unaffected by saltwater and the sun's rays.  In yhe long run, it'll be better than changing out mono before every few trips.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

I like 50# spectra for the smaller 20-30, sometimes 40# leaders. It's the diameter of 12# mono and is easier to deal with than the smaller stuff.  I use white for party boats so I can see the line and avoid tangles. Line management is crucial!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

speedwagon2

Sgeorge,
  You don't need the expensive hollow braid unless you want to do splices inside the hollow braid for your mono/flouro connection to the braid.  My eyes and hands are two old for that skill.  You can pay a shop to rig it.  I have 8 or 12 strand Izorline or JB on most of my reels.  Use an albright or Royal Polaris knot for the connection. I changed to the Royal Polaris knot middle of last season.  Its a little easier to tie on a small that is bouncing around.  I have not had a failure with either knot.  My bait reels, 322, 332 newells, and a mxj are rigged similar to Keta's.  At least 300 yds of 50-65 lb braid and a short, less than the length of the rod, flouro leader.  The leader will be 30-50 lbs depending on how aggressive the fish are.  I have gone down to 20lbs when the tuna are spooky.  I don't use any mono leaders on bait or jig rigs.  I like instant feed back with braid and fluro.  For trolling in So Cal I use a minimum of 80 lb braid, and 50 to 80 lb leaders.  The rods are all rated 60 lb or higher.  I used to troll with 40 lb rigs but had breakage when a frisky tuna, thresher, or mako showed up.  If you search for the Royal Polaris sport boat, the website has some great videos on knots.  The Royal Polaris knot is all so known as the John Collins knot.
 Hope this helps,  Dave Babcock

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 05, 2015, 03:32:37 PM
Braid is expensive stuff but it will last a lot longer as it is unaffected by saltwater and the sun's rays.  In yhe long run, it'll be better than changing out mono before every few trips.

I have some Spectra on a few reels that is 20+ years old.

Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Quote from: MarkT on July 05, 2015, 04:23:15 PM
I like 50# spectra for the smaller 20-30, sometimes 40# leaders. It's the diameter of 12# mono and is easier to deal with than the smaller stuff.  I use white for party boats so I can see the line and avoid tangles. Line management is crucial!

This is a worthy point. The deckies really like white too so they can see where you are at and help you follow your fish. It is very useful on the sport boats to be able to see where your line is etc.

Keta

Some people need yellow to keep track of their line when they are asleep at the rail.

Mark Twain

sgeorge

Guys,

Thanks again for the help. I am catching up. Not new to fishing, just new to the braids. From what I have read elsewhere the hollow braid avoids some of the dig in problems that solid braid can present. Splicing is easy, we were doing that with dacron. Does make for a small and clean connection. Price is just one of those things that comes when you want to play the game.

50 pound braid sounds good for a 30 and 40 pound outfit. 60 for a 50 pound outfit. If I do a dedicated jig rod, maybe 50 again. Maybe a 20 pound outfit, using 40 braid and a spinning reel. Then the mates can give me dirty looks for both things at once.