Newbie With A Question

Started by byron/pa, July 07, 2015, 11:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

byron/pa

Maybe I'm some kind of old fuddy duddy guy, but one thing that really irks me is when someone comes on a forum like this, asks a question and then disappears......I can safely say, that while I don't have much info to contribute, I'll at least offer my thanks.

I've been lurking on this site for quite some time, and started tinkering with a few reels as a result. The first project was a 6501C3, that desperately needed some attention and since then, there's been a few more, but I have a bunch to learn.
I'm a fan of the ABU's because I prefer left hand retrieve and used ones can be picked up fairly cheap, and they are generally easy to bring back to better than new. 

So, anyway, I have a 7001i, left hand retrieve, that I got a very good deal on. When I got it, it was in much better shape than I expected, but of course we can't leave good enough alone.

I replaced the bushings with bearings, installed smoothies and did a CT conversion to it. Problem is, that now there is a very faint clicking sound when spinning the spool in free spool. The clicking sound gets louder as the tension knob is tightened and when the tension knob is loosened, the sound is louder when the reel is tilted to the left, handle side. When the reel is tilted to the right, there is no clicking sound.

I have disassembled, reassembled several times, stared at diagrams and looked at pictures.........yet, it's still clicking. What am I missing?

alantani

the best way to systematically find these odd clicks is to gut the reel, then install just the bare side plate and spool, give it a spin and see if it makes noise, then start adding parts back to figure out where the noise is coming from.  first guess, though, is somewhere between the pinion gear and the spool.  that's one of the most common spots. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

byron/pa

Thanks Allen, didn't really think of putting it back together that way, but it makes sense. And maybe in the process I'll get one of those ah-ha moments...............

jonnou

Had to do this just yesterday with a main gear and a couple of washers. Customer came in when I was in the middle of disassembly. when I got back to it .Mind blank. Luckily only one combination worked. Can be very hard to tell from schematics sometimes. I find i learn  more from these mistakes. (Take photos)
Good luck

byron/pa

QuoteI find i learn  more from these mistakes.

Yea, I figure it's very possible that I put a washer/spring/clip/etc back in the wrong way, but time is on my side and I'm sure it'll get figured out.

byron/pa

Well, I tore it apart and inspected & reassembled a couple more times, still not sure where the problem is. But, I put a very thin shim, cut out of a soda can, under the copper square in the non-adjustable end cap on the left hand side and that seemed to solve the problem.
Smooth as silk now, I guess I'll find out if I created any new problems by doing that, when I hit the field..... 

foakes

Good call, Byron/pa --

Clever fix.

ABU would send dealers and service centers these little clear plasic bottles with a tune-up kit inside for their reels.

Among the items were always (2) of those square copper shims.

Must be a reason for that after all!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.