Great Striper day, thanks to logbooks!

Started by STRIPER LOU, July 07, 2015, 03:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Paulie and I got out yesterday morning. I've been keeping notes and logbooks for over 40 yrs. Is it worth the bother? ABSOLUTELY!!!! The logs show that fishing this area near the dates logged, Time, temps, and tide had brought excellent success on many, many, trips. Other entries I looked at for different area's not so good. The log gives you the ability to understand fish patterns and definitely contributes to your overall success. Date, time, temp, area, moon stage, water temps, type of bait seen, lures used, fish caught, and fishes stomach content are some of the things I record. After a while you can decide what info is important and eliminate others that are not. Using a highlighter on key info also helps for quick reference. It has also helped me figure out when and where the squid and other baits arrive and that way I'm using the appropriate lures.

Paul is a great fisherman and owns 2 boats. At times it can be difficult to get him to be serious about what he's doing but the ole boy was A OK today. Other than showing up late and I told him if I had missed this tide I would beat him with his own fishing rod!  ( had been waiting almost a month for all things to align in this area)
We called it quits after an hour and a half with 5 fish and a few HOGS all caught on the homemade Slope Head Swimmers.
Suspended red weed has really been a problem. Best approach is to find the fish, get slightly up tide, and let the line out. There were times in the morning we didn't even get 30 seconds before the plug was loaded up with weed.
Back at the dock early, pizza for breakfast, a good BS session, and on our way home before 10am.
By the way the big girl had a 10" flounder half way in her gullet and still smashed the plug!
A quick thanks to the BIG GUY above for giving us a great day. Sorry about the pics but it will give you and idea what the morning weather was like.

broadway

I love those mornings, with a fog and a light dew... the fish seem to like it, too. ;)
Nice fish,
Dom

Dominick

That is one nice hog.  Congratulations.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

Lou the log book is the best advice there is when it comes to fishing no doubt about it. Very nice COW! I'm envious.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

What a nice striper.  I don't see such big stripers out here very often.  Mostly in the 10#-15# range.   Must be fun to fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Doug

That's a real nice one Lou . payoff time for the work of keeping records   Doug

Newell Nut

Nice looking catch Lou. Preparation and opportunity make for some very good luck.