9500ss surprise

Started by basto, July 08, 2015, 03:57:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys and Gals
I received a 9500ss in the mail this morning and to my surprise it has a bronze/brass main gear.
I thought the thousand series SS reels all had alloy main gears. Very happy, particularly because the thousand series  have the stainless gear pivot. It`s all good!
Interesting drag on the 9500. I`ll be spooling this one with 30lb mono and taking it to the reef in a couple of months.

CHEERS
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

MFB

Hi Basto,

Well done, it's good to have some luck occasionally. My 7500SS came with bronze gears, it looked like it had never been apart either. I also put bronze gears from an 850SS into my 8500SS.

Regards

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

I have 7500 and 8500's that came with a Bronze gear. its a Gamble with those Basto. You did good.
Life is Good!

basto

Is it possible to put bronze gears from a 850ss into  7500ss. I mean pinions also. Will they fit?

Shark Hunter

Yes, it works if you have the right pinion to match the main. the 650 to 6500 is a different story.
The pinion on the alloy gears is straight looking. The Brass gear pinion is bulbous. This is a 9500, but its the same deal.

Life is Good!

basto

Thanks for your reply Daron. Sorry it takes me so long to reply sometimes, but when you guys over there are awake, I`m in bed and vice versa.
Very best
Basto

ChileRelleno

Nice Score!

I once went to trade a 704Z for a nice 9500SS, before making the trade I cracked open the SS... What did my eyes behold, Brass!
And thanks to another member here, my other 9500SS has brass too.

Take the time/money to put Adam's titanium Ratchet and double dogs in that.
http://motivefab.com/products-page/reels/spinfisher-titanium-anti-reverse-system
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

basto

Another couple of brass parts I see that differ in material used in these SS reels is the spool cap and the bushing in the spool.
The thousand series use a brass insert in the spool cap and the earlier hundred series use a brass bushing in the spool.
The others are a "plastic"
Basto