Big boy senator inserts: the list

Started by Three se7ens, July 08, 2015, 03:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strick

I missed your deadline due to some technology issues. if there are any extras left for 12/0 and 14/0 I would gladly take them off your hands.

Three se7ens

Ill let you know if there are any extras. 

I picked up the inserts from the cutter today, and they look fantastic.    I dropped off the carbon fiber sheets for the drag washers, and I should have those and the metal washers back next week. 

Shark Hunter

Good News! Glad they turned out nice!
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Alright guys, I have all of the parts and Im putting together the kits for these.  Everyone who signed up, Ill PM you with the total, and payment details.  Ill have them all ready to ship out by the end of the week.

The stack will be 7 carbon fiber washers, since I used 1.5mm carbon fiber on these. 

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

mrand

Great to hear Adam!
Could you or someone please advise me on the minimum upgrades I need to do to my 14/0 to prepare for your inserts. I won't be using the full drag based on what I've read but rather the middle of the range (for many reasons :)!

I also understand that this is more drag than the 14/0 was originally designed for (brass gears/brass sleeve etc).

So I understand I will need to do some upgrading. What would be the minimum recommendations:
stainless steel main?
SS gear sleeve?

Thanks for your help!
Michael

Three se7ens

Quote from: mrand on August 17, 2015, 01:23:39 AM
Great to hear Adam!
Could you or someone please advise me on the minimum upgrades I need to do to my 14/0 to prepare for your inserts. I won't be using the full drag based on what I've read but rather the middle of the range (for many reasons :)!

I also understand that this is more drag than the 14/0 was originally designed for (brass gears/brass sleeve etc).

So I understand I will need to do some upgrading. What would be the minimum recommendations:
stainless steel main?
SS gear sleeve?

Thanks for your help!
Michael

Daron is the resident expert on these, but Id say base your upgrades around what line you plan to use, not what the potential max drag may be with my inserts.  The real benefit of the insert kits on these big reels is making the drag silky smooth at normal drag pressure.  That being said, SS gear sleeve and SS gears will extend the longevity of the reel when fished hard. 

Shark Hunter

Mike,
You can just add this insert upgrade and probably be fine. The gears on the 14/0 are pretty stout.
I just like to go overboard. As long as your sleeve is in perfect condition with a tight handle fit.
If your sleeve is out of round at all at the handle, I would replace it with a stainless one from Tom.
Life is Good!

RockyR

One set for 14/0 if available. Thanks

ChileRelleno

Quick, send me an invoice.
My wife keeps eyeballing my mad money.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Three se7ens

All of this order it spoken for, but Ill do another run in about a month.  Ill start a new list for that order in a couple of weeks.

I do have spares available for these kits.  Both sizes use all the same washers, the only difference is the OD of the insert itself.  Extra delrin washers for $1.50 each, and a set of carbon fiber washers for $18. 

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:

Three se7ens

All the kits are going out in tomorrow's mail. Thanks everyone!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Bringing Christmas in August to all of the good boys and girls. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.