New in box 146L's

Started by Rancanfish, July 08, 2015, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Just out of curiosity, are these considered collectible? (146L). I have been thinking lately of switching out of collecting, and instead picking up user reels.

I have tired of looking at stuff not being used.  I admire them but I think I'd rather buy some parts and upgrade user reels.

I'm thinking I'll go Ebay since it seems prices are ridiculous for old 146   reels. I should be able to get some good frames or something instead!

Insert 'What's it worth?' here.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

coastal_dan

I'm sure someone will chime in with an estimate but the 146's are sought after due to being the narrow one of Squidder family.  In Jigmaster land 501 and 506 go for a pretty penny used or new (I paid $65 for a really nice black 501, seemed just about right to me) whereas brand new 500's NIB sit on Ebay getting no much more than $50-60.  If you do think about selling I may be interested in one of them.  Any pictures?

Edit: Mikes price book may have an estimate for you...I haven't bought that one yet... :'(
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

In fair condition it would be anywhere from $50 to $80.
In very good condition $80 to $120.
In new condition with box $150 to $200.

This one is new with box and an extra spool, I wouldn't sell this one for less than $250, but that's  because of the ss spacer bars. Grin

I would hold on to that reel if I were you, but if you had to get rid of it, Dan would appreciate it very much.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

These are both brand new, in the box, never mounted on a rod nor line put on. 

I'm sure, because the day I found out they were discontinued I went to my local tackle shop and asked the owner if he could get one.  He called me a couple days later and said his rep dropped off the last two he could find in the bay area.

So I bought them both. They've been in the garage for a lonnnnng time.

I have a red one and a black one I'm going to put the SS sleeve and 5 stack drags in. Then a couple of Tib frames if I can't find Accurates.

Penn Chronology

The Squidder 146 is great fishing reel. They are not in any of my books because my books end at 1957 and the 146 was introduced later than that. I think categorizing them as collectibles could be up for discussion. They are, no question, great little reels and some of the crazy custom models could actually be a collectible:

So the answer is, the "Eye of the Beholder". If you feel it is a collectible, then it is.

Rancanfish

How about interesting to some?

Penn Chronology

QuoteHow about interesting to some?

Sure, I think they are interesting.

Bob Colclough

Picked this 140m up off Craigslist for $30.00. Never used. Just started collecting Penn reels about 2 years ago.

Penn Chronology

There are no rules, 146L's are simply a 146 with an Aluminum spool. They are a great fishing reel that are no longer manufactured. If you want a new one for the purpose of worshiping on a shelf, to customize or to fish with, you have to get imaginative. You just cannot go out and buy one. That is what makes them have value. Whether they are collectibles or not does not make them have value, demand does. A great reel will always be a great reel.

There are flea markets in places in this country where a NOS 146 might be had for $30 one day and the next day, another seller may want $200 for it. There are no rules in the Aftermarket only "Supply and Demand". ;)

Maxed Out

About 5 years ago I was at my favorite local mom and pop tackle store and talking with long time owner about the discontinued penn reels...He mentioned he had 2 new 146L squidders and offered them to me for $50 each (insert $100 here with no hesitation ;D).......They are great little reels, But I prefer the narrow 501, as the larger diameter gives a tad more line capacity, and upgrades for that reel are endless. Penn did make millions of them, so not sure it will ever fall into the desirable collectable catagory, but to each his own. I have a couple jigmasters that are just for admiring, the rest are for having fun. Sal has the best of the best of both

Mike, yes it is always fun collecting oddballs or non typical configurations of a familiar reel......only problem is you pictured a reel that if I start looking for the same one, by the time I find it the moon will be 15 miles further from the earth and I'll be 388,000 years old :o
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, yes it is always fun collecting oddballs or non typical configurations of a familiar reel......only problem is you pictured a reel that if I start looking for the same one, by the time I find it the moon will be 15 miles further from the earth and I'll be 388,000 years old Shocked

You are 100% correct. Your goal should not be to find the same oddball reel I found, your goal should be to find your own oddball reel.  ;D