Help with Penn 9/0

Started by A_Frayed_Knot, July 10, 2015, 02:45:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_Frayed_Knot

I have 2 used Penn 9/0s that I just started to service. To begin with I am confused about how old my reels are. The drag washer stack is accessible from outside the reel, so that means its a older reel. Could someone confirm the drag washer stack for this style reel?

I took the first reel apart and cleaned it all up. Went to reassemble and ran into a few issues. The first issue is the handle side bearing. As free-spool is disengaged the handle side bearing moves into the reel. Why is that not staying in place? I've checked the schematics and don't see anything missing. I do seem to have a extra metal non-eared washer.

The second issue is my confusion about the collar setup. One reel has a (9) Collar and a (8A) Tension spring then the Star Drag Wheel and then a thinner Tension spring then the handle. The other reel has the (9) Collar and a (8A) Tension spring then the Star Drag Wheel but then no thinner tension spring. But it does have extra non-eared metal drag washer for some reason. Which is right and where can I find the thinner tension spring?

A little confused, looking for some guidance from the pro's!

RowdyW

First off if the drag washer setup is 3 fiber & 3 metals you have outdated asbestos washers that will have to be deep sixed. You will need to order new carbon fiber washers & metal washers, 5 of each. They can be bought as a kit from Scott's Bait & Tackle (Penn Parts Dealer). Sometimes extra metal keyed washers are used as shims on top of the drag stack so that the spacer sits flush or a tiny bit above the plate opening. To tighten up the right bearing I've used a layer or two of Saran Wrap over the inside of the bearing hole & then press the bearing in with wooden dowel. Don't forget to replace the washer under the main gear. Lube all drag washers with Cal's Drag Grease.  RUDY

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome, AF Knot --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Welcome Knot! ;D
There are some great Tutorials and pictures in this Senator section. If you still can't figure it out. Take some pictures. We are here to help.
Life is Good!

jonnou

Welcome
Don't be afrayed

What Rowdy said. This has been done many times. There are kits available, you can cut your own, Delrin under gear. You have two. so the worlds your oyster.
What are you targeting with the 9/0 ?
Best Jon

Tightlines667

Welcome.

If you have any questions or happen to run into trouble, don't be afraid to ask.  There are many of us who can help you sort it out.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.