AJ day on the Pastime

Started by Newell Nut, July 10, 2015, 08:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I had to work on the dredge project today and missed and very good AJ day on the Pastime.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deepseafishingdaytona/sets/72157653378466174

Steve-O

Always a pleasure to be "aboard the PP" ...although vicariously.

I see the men in gray suits came calling.

The peanut dolphin had some deluxe coloration. Must have been right out of the water as they usually fade within minutes of expiring. Offshore NC and Down East NC in general we call them dolphin and everyone not local thinks we're cruel for targeting Flipper the mammal. Here out West, they say Mahi. I say " good eatin' bruddah!"

The ubiquitous Skipper shot appears again. On the last trip the big guy "with the pink purse" was hilarious. The purse was hanging behind him just so and it bombed his pic. :D

Newell Nut

I think the lady in the office that post the pics was messing up. Skipper was getting embarrassed by the multiple pics showing.

Today was a wild AJ day. A couple of us caught some pin fish at the dock this morning and they are like candy to an AJ. I caught big ones really quick with the pin fish hanging about half way to the bottom. Then I decided to try my luck with my spinner and a squid head for mangoes. I tried to cast out past all the AJs and I managed to get two mangos. Somebody was coming around my corner fighting one so I decided to wind my squid head in quick and get out of the way and a big AJ grabbed my bait so I got one in on my old Captain America spinner.

Then I got another big one on and it got into the boat  lines the 30 lb line could not take all that abrasion. We had about 15 big AJs in the box and I left all mine there for the tourist and I just kept my two mangos. The highlight catch was a guy with a Newell 229 and he caught a big AJ after quite a lengthy fight.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deepseafishingdaytona/sets/72157655750363951

Enjoy the pics.

Mac53

Dwight,

You always show such healthy looking Mango's caught on the boat.  Nice to see the fish are still here and doing well!

Tim

Doug

Dwight just wondering do the mango's taste the same as red snapper? How do you prepare them ?  Doug

Newell Nut

I prefer the mangos over any of the local fish and I eat all of them. To me the red snapper is over rated.

If I spray a little pam in a non stick skillet and cook the fish fast with a glass lid on it so I can watch the speed of the process and flip it once then I am a happy camper. I can do the same thing and put some blackened seasoning on it and enjoy it.

My wife has done something different that is amazing. She coats the filets with Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Coats the skillet with a little olive oil and brown it well on both sides. This is a very tasty treat.

nelz

Where is this boat located?

Steve-O

My wife has done something different that is amazing. She coats the filets with Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Coats the skillet with a little olive oil and brown it well on both sides. This is a very tasty treat.

The lodge I visit in AK each fall does that with the halibut steaks and will bake them that way also.

I like a little krusteaz batter with fresh coconut flakes on my halibut then done under glass.

Yum!

otownjoe

Gotta love them mangos.I was never a big fan of them till someone showed me how to clean and cook them. Like Dwight said , Italian breadcrumbs and a light coat of oil.it's one of my favorites now.

Newell Nut