Recent Shark Attacks

Started by Shark Hunter, July 11, 2015, 01:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I know there has been a lot more than normal Shark Attacks Recently. It is unfortunate, and my heart goes out to the families and victims. There are Shark Fishing Bans going into place in North Carolina which has nothing to do with the attacks. The Atlantic is very murky and you can't see in the water past your ankles. There is a lot of rays in the water this year and I really think the sharks get all fired up chasing them and humans are in the way. More and More people are going to the beaches. That is the main factor in my opinion that the bites are happening. I think this woman pretty much sums it up.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/woman-s-advice-on-avoiding-a-shark-attack-takes-the-internet-by-storm-182408163.html
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 11, 2015, 01:04:08 PM
I know there has been a lot more than normal Shark Attacks Recently. It is unfortunate, and my heart goes out to the families and victims. There are Shark Fishing Bans going into place in North Carolina which has nothing to do with the attacks. The Atlantic is very murky and you can't see in the water past your ankles. There is a lot of rays in the water this year and I really think the sharks get all fired up chasing them and humans are in the way. More and More people are going to the beaches. That is the main factor in my opinion that the bites are happening. I think this woman pretty much sums it up.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/woman-s-advice-on-avoiding-a-shark-attack-takes-the-internet-by-storm-182408163.html

;D ;D ;D Now that's what I'm talking bout. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tightlines667

:) :) :)
lol

"When you go in da shark's house"...
"You gonna get ate up"

She no shark biologist, just speakin sum no nonsense, common sense.

I agree with you though Daron, most attacks are a case of mistaken identity due to poor visablity and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Also, the way you behave when in the presence of an actively hunting shark that is checking you out makes a big difference.  If you 'carry yourself' correctly even the bigtest monsters will behave like puppy dogs.  Sharks can be kinda like that junkyard dog you run into when you step into his area with a raw steak in hand.  Give him the steak, and project calm assertiveness, and he will leave you alone.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 11, 2015, 10:03:59 PM
lol

"You gonna get ate up"

I agree with you though Daron, most attacks are a case of mistaken identity due to poor visablity and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Also, the way you behave when in the presence of an actively hunting shark that is checking you out makes a big difference.  If you 'carry yourself' correctly even the bigtest monsters will behave like puppy dogs.  Sharks can be kinda like that junkyard dog you run into when you step into his area with a raw steak in hand.  Give him the steak, and project calm assertiveness, and he will leave you alone.

Yeh, and when you walk threw the jungle with a pork chop suit on..........YOU GET ATE! :)
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: Reel 224 on July 12, 2015, 01:49:39 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 11, 2015, 10:03:59 PM
lol

"You gonna get ate up"

I agree with you though Daron, most attacks are a case of mistaken identity due to poor visablity and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Also, the way you behave when in the presence of an actively hunting shark that is checking you out makes a big difference.  If you 'carry yourself' correctly even the bigtest monsters will behave like puppy dogs.  Sharks can be kinda like that junkyard dog you run into when you step into his area with a raw steak in hand.  Give him the steak, and project calm assertiveness, and he will leave you alone.

Yeh, and when you walk threw the jungle with a pork chop suit on..........YOU GET ATE! :)

Well put ;) Most things in life are common sense really.

OldSchool

Its a simple adage that's been around for decades "you don't want to get bit from a shark don't swim in the ocean", "you don't want to be eaten by a croc don't swim in the billabong".

thorhammer

Having lived and or fished the coast of NC my whole life (I am at Wrightsville beach as I type) as well as being a biologist all I have to say is......the sharks are always here. They have always been here, and unless man keeps having a gut check reaction to eliminate these apex predators , they will always be here. I have had five foot spinner sharks eAt a hooked bluefish on the bar I had just waded to in order cast. After he cut me off i waded right back there to cast again. Our water temps are 3 degrees above Florida right now; we have Portuguese MOW's washing up where we normally don't. We have also had low rainfall which means higher salinity that bait pods can push close to shore around inlets in.
I will jump off boat tomorrow I complete confidence I am more likely to be injured I traffic going home up I40 than I ever will from a shark.

The very few people paddling out a little shark bait are increasing the 'Attraction' of bringing sharks around us entirely BS.  My wife was a flight nurse in SE NC and said she saw sharks in shallow water every single day around swimmers when the water was clear to see them.  So you know they are still there in murky water when your foot looks like a ten inch pogie flapping around. I'm sick of seeing this crap as I am hearing about a kardashian.

I would apologize for my rant except I'm not sorry.
Just my 02.

Three se7ens

I keep teeling my wife the same thing.  Nothing is different except media exposure.  The sharks are there, and have always been there.  Weather and circumstances may bring larger numbers closer to shore, but at the end of the day, they are always there.  We play in their world, not vice versa. 

If everyone knew what was swimming in the water, noone would go in it. 

conchydong

I was fortunate enough to catch a ride in the Goodyear blimp that is stationed where I live in Pompano Beach, Fl. We went out over the water and counted literally hundreds of Sharks swimming amongst the beach goers, who were totally unaware of the Sharks presence. 99.99999% of the time all is good. I wouldn't head out when there is a major mullet run and a full out feeding frenzy going on though.