Rants... Shark Week 2015

Started by Tightlines667, July 11, 2015, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Sigh (shaking head, while holding it down)
:( :( :(

Discovery channel..what happened to you?

I remember growing up with Jaque Cousteau and other truely educational programing available.  Now days its all made-for-ratings, copy-your-neighbor, reality TV injected with sensationalized drama and misinformation.  

Has it really come to this?

True, there are some good facts, recent research findings, and cutting-edge cinematography laced throughout.  But it has become exceedingly difficult for the layman to distinguish fact from fiction.  Unfortunately, all too many believe what they hear on tv.  Particuarily information portrayed in a trusted network like The Discovery Channel.  

Some of this shark week programing is not too far removed from this highly rated show proving the existance of mermaids...

http://press.discovery.com/ekits/monster-week-mermaids/mw-descriptions.html

Animal Planet's:  "Monster Week"

Btw..I have yet to meet an animal I consider a monster, is this what we are trying to teach or kids?

Maybe they need to take a page out of The History Channel's playbook.  Although they have a bunch of these low-production cost, high ratings, scripted and staged 'reality' TV shows.  At least when they have an educational
program it actually does educate you.  

Maybe its just my perspective, but it is a universal truth that all shark (and most Fishery) biologist hate shark week.  Except maybe those few, who were able to 'cash in'.

Ok, I'm done now.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reel 224

It is just entertainment as long as we keep it in perspective. As far as children are concerned, it's really our responsibility to teach them what is true or fiction as well as right from wrong. Leaving these things up to TV and outside influence is only going to hurt them, just as well as teaching is to teach and raising your children is your responsibility.

When folks leave it up to video games and TV to raise there children, that is when things start to go wrong.

Done with my rant.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Keta

After a week of this BS the viewers will be screaming for Alaska Bush Morons.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Well, despite the Discovery Channel's ominous speculations, I rather doubt that Megalodon is going to gobble me up when I'm out fishing on the ROYAL STAR. :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

I agree, Shark week is a lot of BS. People that don't know. Just watch it and think its real.
Some of it is. Most of it is not.
I just wait for my Vacation and have my own Shark Week. ;)
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 12, 2015, 03:05:27 AM
I agree, Shark week is a lot of BS. People that don't know. Just watch it and think its real.
Some of it is. Most of it is not.
I just wait for my Vacation and have my own Shark Week. ;)

Without going overboard with this...no pun intended :D It's just entertainment. Common sense is important right?
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

MarkT

But you know what they say... Common sense isn't that common!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reel 224

Quote from: MarkT on July 12, 2015, 04:14:51 AM
But you know what they say... Common sense isn't that common!

Yes that's true, at least not any more. Blame that on the computer age!! ::) :)

AlasKen

That is not fair.  Alaska reality TV is so far from reality it is not funny.  You can find idiots in any state. <grin>

Quote from: Keta on July 12, 2015, 02:34:36 AM
After a week of this BS the viewers will be screaming for Alaska Bush Morons.

Keta

Hoonah was one of my ports and my second favorite village, Kake was #1.  The show is 100% scripted drama, BS and lies and I'd like to drop the whole family off in Angoon, my least favorite village port.  They are trashing ANOTHER place in Alaska.  I worked in every town and village in SE as well as Cordova and Whittier. 

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on July 12, 2015, 04:45:35 AM
Hoonah was one of my ports and my second favorite village, Kake was #1.  The show is 100% scripted drama, BS and lies and I'd like to drop the whole family off in Angoon, my least favorite village port.  They are trashing ANOTHER place in Alaska.  I worked in every town and village in SE as well as Cordova and Whittier. 

Keta: That pretty much holds true when ever these shows are aired on what ever state is represented. Do you honestly think all woman from NJ are like the show Jersey Girls? First thing is, I don't even know anyone who talks with that accent in NJ much less acts like that. Anything portrait on TV is over exaggerated 100%, Reality is, TV is a bunch of nonsense that some people take way to seriously. That includes News,CNN,CNBC,and all the Tom,Dick, and Harry news hours.

If people want to keep it real, then pay attention to whats going on in your life every day. ::) ;)

Man I'm sorry, but this TV show crap just gets me worked up. ::) >:(   

Keta

TV is "new" for us, we got cable for Christmas but we are about to cut it off.   "Reality" TV isn't.  

Last night I watched a show where idiots falling out of trees, building a bow out of a bicycle rim (ya sure) and hunting "bighorn sheep" that were domestic hair sheep....worse than Alaska Bush Morons.  The target audience must be citiots that know nothing about nature and living on the land.

Mark Twain

Reel 224

Quote from: Keta on July 12, 2015, 01:34:36 PM
TV is "new" for us, we got cable for Christmas but we are about to cut it off.   "Reality" TV isn't.  

Last night I watched a show where idiots falling out of trees, building a bow out of a bicycle rim (ya sure) and hunting "bighorn sheep" that were domestic hair sheep....worse than Alaska Bush Morons.  The target audience must be citiots that know nothing about nature and living on the land.

Keta: I own a TV obviously because of my comments, and I do watch it on occasion. But honestly my time is spent more either working in our fields or fishing and on here in one form or the other....meaning keeping our records or communicating and reading posts on this site. TV is a waist of time and Life period.

Yesterday we pulled 500 heads of garlic today we will pull another 600 and then go fishing. TV isn't in the picture at all. Pun intended. ;D

Steve-O

We have a TV (1) downstairs in the family room. We only have it hooked to a DVD player and turn it on once a week for Family Movie Night and watch something together for two hours.

When we vacation elsewhere we let the kiddos see some shows after we restrict whatever system is being fed into the rental house we stay in that week.

So two weeks back the kids watched back to back House and garden channel ....what a surprise choice.

But again...ALL scripted "reality" junk. The AK bush morons came on some channel or other....what a mess!

He who lets their boat float away on a tide shift deserves no boat. Did not finish the episode. And had another confirmation why we unplugged it years ago.

jonnou

Entertainment? I think not. Hooks with no substance. It seems to be getting worse. I have loved sharks since I was a very young child.  Most of these shows have little substance.  The repetition of one dubious fact throughout the program. The networks obviously pander to a demographic of creatures of questionable intelligence
my 2cents