Thresher on a Kayak...not mine

Started by kmstorm64, July 13, 2015, 07:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmstorm64

A guy in my Club (jonesz) had been out Muir Beach and had 5 encounters with threshers and did not land one of them...all from a kayak. Granted he was out Salmon fishing.  Having gotten some advice he went back out: this is his adventure:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=66492.0

Next time you are in your boat cruising along, think about doing it from kayak. 
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Fisherman Paul

Quote from: kmstorm64 on July 13, 2015, 07:07:27 PM
A guy in my Club (jonesz) had been out Muir Beach and had 5 encounters with threshers and did not land one of them...all from a kayak. Granted he was out Salmon fishing.  Having gotten some advice he went back out: this is his adventure:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=66492.0

Next time you are in your boat cruising along, think about doing it from kayak. 

Thresher shark and Salmon fishing don't mix, right set up he will
land both, saying that one can land one but right set up for
each separate job helps. ;)

ChileRelleno

Link Off Limits to non-registered users.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

kmstorm64

Readers Digest version:  Jonesz went out off of Muir beach for salmon and had 5 hook ups with threshers on salmon gear.  3 he got to the boat, but all of them took off or he had no means of landing it. 

He went back better prepared, and had a slow day and had some Nor Cal Kayak Angler support out there with him.  One guy hooked up but lost it at the boat.  Jonesz he hooked up had a hell of fight, and with the help of a brother kayaker was able to secure the fish and bring it home.  Okay not as interesting as the orginal story.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Rancanfish

Actually, thank you for that!

Threshers have caught my interest lately.  I've been dragged (really chased them down) in my boat by threshers.

I WANT to catch one. I got one to the boat and lost him.  They fight great.

Does the report tell bait and or the rig they used?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.