Torque Star Drag 15 Or Cedros 10

Started by Rivverrat, July 12, 2015, 10:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Both of these star drag reels are great. Only $10 diff in price. Both have more than enough capacity. Both will hit 15 lbs. of usable drag. But is there any reason you would choose one over the other?

I'm leaning toward the torque being that is US made & the ability to change gears

Bryan Young

They are both great reels.  With all things equal, American Made.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bigmahi12

All things comparable, see which one suits you better. Make a list of what's important to you.

For me 1) SS Gears / gear material durability. I've always used Penn and Newell reels and never knew tha you're not supposed to feel against drag until I destroyed my brand new Calcutta with brass gears LOL! Even if both manufacurers say they use SS gears, there's different types of SS grades you'd want to inquire.

2) gear ratio. I do a lot of bottom / reef fishing where it's important to get the fish out the structure. Low gears makes this easier. I have 2 sets of gears for my Torque - 6:1 and 3.8:1 ($50 for extra set).

3) line class. Line class dictates drag and drag dictates frame. If you're going after big ones get a aluminum feel machines out of solid stock. Otherwise go with a composite material or cast aluminum. Some reels just don't make sense like the Calcutta. Nice solid machined aluminum frame but what's the point if it's brass gears turn to dust after a few weeks of hard use (at 7# drag)...

johndtuttle

Quote from: bigmahi12 on July 14, 2015, 02:36:20 PM
All things comparable, see which one suits you better. Make a list of what's important to you.

For me 1) SS Gears / gear material durability. I've always used Penn and Newell reels and never knew tha you're not supposed to feel against drag until I destroyed my brand new Calcutta with brass gears LOL! Even if both manufacurers say they use SS gears, there's different types of SS grades you'd want to inquire.

2) gear ratio. I do a lot of bottom / reef fishing where it's important to get the fish out the structure. Low gears makes this easier. I have 2 sets of gears for my Torque - 6:1 and 3.8:1 ($50 for extra set).

3) line class. Line class dictates drag and drag dictates frame. If you're going after big ones get a aluminum feel machines out of solid stock. Otherwise go with a composite material or cast aluminum. Some reels just don't make sense like the Calcutta. Nice solid machined aluminum frame but what's the point if it's brass gears turn to dust after a few weeks of hard use (at 7# drag)...

People watch too many fishing shows where Bass Pros are water skiing Bass into the boat or other Hosts are giving a demonstration of muscling in a fish that has little to do with sensible practice.

They forget that these paid performers are being given free reels right and left or free service from factory reps.

I get it that a guy fishing a tournament needs to take no chances and the potential pay out will replace a lot of beat up equipment...but to me it has nothing to do with enjoying fishing.  ;)

bigmahi12

Duly noted John!

On the other hand brass pinions are cheap like 1/3 to 1/2 the price of SS! They're $10 apiece so I bought 2 and now it's all smooth and quiet. I figure I'll burn out another pinion while trying to change my habit.

Rivverrat

bigmahi12 & John great posts!

I thought myself an idiot for destroying the gears in 2 Fathoms. First time I thought, just a bad set of gears. Second time I started thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong. We live, learn & are better from & for it.